Were to get a frame notch done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were to get a frame notch done?

As title asks, anybody know of a good shop that will do a good frame notch on a mk6 gti? I'm sick of bouncing off my passenger side driveshaft when I air out a bit! Thanks in advance for help

Re: Were to get a frame notch done?

maybe there's some welders on this site that could help....call some custom body shops maybe? No collision repair place would touch it I don't think.
    Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

May have a in at a shop here in Calgary, heading there tommorow to see.. I know it's a big liability thing but I really only need 1- 1.5 inch removed.
      Last edited by mk6gti; 06-06-2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I have a guy who did an amazing job on mine, ticketed welder and everything, havent been able to get a hold of him lately though.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

bumping this up, im looking for a frame notch for the 2.0 pretty soon here, if anyone can do it let me know. thanks

Comment

i will also be looking for a mk6 notch hopefully
            I take pictures for money.

Comment

I also need someone weld up my notches. (On a MK2) Only difference is I have mine cut out already, but can't move the car. So I need someone with a portable welder. If you find anyone, please let me know!
              Last edited by Fizzo20; 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM.
              -Faraaz

Comment

How hard can it be? I have one of those metal glue things.

Comment

Frame notch party?
                  Bryce
                  04 GTI 1.8t

Comment

there is a less drastic way to solve your issue ...... empi make a replacment axle.(while not as high of quality as a stock unit) it uses a solid axle that is smaler than the stock hollow unit. So i gained almost an inch whith the empi unit
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                      there is a less drastic way to solve your issue ...... empi make a replacment axle.(while not as high of quality as a stock unit) it uses a solid axle that is smaler than the stock hollow unit. So i gained almost an inch whith the empi unit
                      Have you ever used an EMPI axle on a car with airride? They are terrible with anything even slightly lowered and even an inch would still hit frame on a mk4...
                      Me, i would never use an EMPI axle on my car, only OEM with modified cups on the inner flange to prevent binding.

Comment

I ended up at the the rod shop here in calgary to have this done. Just a warning though, be carefull with the fuel lines that run along inside that channel as they can melt if a torch is used!
                        Last edited by mk6gti; 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mk6gti View Post
                          I ended up at the the rod shop here in calgary to have this done. Just a warning though, be carefull with the fuel lines that run along inside that channel as they can melt if a torch is used!
                          Agreed on a mk4, i would highly recommend using a 3.5" hole saw and 3" sch40/std pipe. Thick enough to weld to nicely, large enough to definitely clear your axle (will be about a 1.75-2" half circle) if you decide to get a sectioned subframe or anything else.

For the fuel lines you can always disconnect and just pull them back through the frame, but it's not necessary if you use a hole saw and cutting fluid. But always have a fire extinguisher handy just in case

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                            Have you ever used an EMPI axle on a car with airride? They are terrible with anything even slightly lowered and even an inch would still hit frame on a mk4...
                            Me, i would never use an EMPI axle on my car, only OEM with modified cups on the inner flange to prevent binding.
                            i have had issues with some empi axles . but at 100 bucks . its worth having to change them often over modifying the frame of my new car
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                              i have had issues with some empi axles . but at 100 bucks . its worth having to change them often over modifying the frame of my new car
                              Okay that is where we differ i think, i would rather have a bit of extra work up front for the reliability of always having my car on the road. If an axle were to ever break there would be towing, possible charges, having to ask someone to borrow a car depending on the day, running around getting a new axle and nut, spending an hour swapping it out. Where the frame notch takes a few hours and about $100 and if you properly modify your OEM axles the first time, they can last the life of the car even when lowered.

At least that is my opinion as where i'm coming from and reasoning why i would do a frame notch rather than axles (if axles did indeed provide the necessary clearance which they don't for a mk4)

Comment

Working...
                              X