Passat TDI Balance Shaft Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passat TDI Balance Shaft Issue

Brand be thread for a new problem? This car is a bit of a hassle at times....

I was warned by several when I bought the passat that there were issues with the ballance shaft. I probably should have taken it more seriously. Now that my warranty is over by only 1500 km, I read enough to freak me out a bit and figured I'd start with diagnosis. I talked to George at Tunedub and Paul at Bert and Jacks and got some opinions, and dug in to prices a bit. I also queried a few guys at the dealer that my car came from. I was quite surprised my dealership was unaware of this issue and had never done the job before, so I figured I'd check in with 5th Avenue Autohaus. Initial impressions of 5th ave are pretty good. I got great service and advise. Unfortunately, they confirmed he chain noises my car is making are excessive, and coming from the balance shaft module. This is about a 5300$ job at the dealership. I have now taken the quote and called VW Canada to see if they would do anything. I suppose my reasons for them considering help when just out of warranty are that this balance shaft issue is not at all isolated, and really should be addressed on a larger scale, as well as the fact that my car is a pain in the ass and has already had heaps of warranty work that spanned several months last year, and took a huge chuck of my time as well.

If they cant offer anything, I'll probably not go the dealership route as the price of labour and parts is a lot lower elsewhere.

See where this all goes I suppose!
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: Passat TDI Balance Shaft Issue

Once this is done you should be done with most of the engine vw screw ups and you can focus on just putting diesel in the car. I am still surprised SCFC has never heard of this problem.
    Ben
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
    Her's
    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

On an ironic note, I had never been to 5th ave, and have since found out the service advisor that helped me lives about 5 houses down the road from me. I should really take some time and meet my neighbours one day....
      Stefan
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

never done balance shafts here either
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
          never done balance shafts here either
          Talking to 5th Ave, they have done several. The last one they opened up based on chain noise and found a broken tensioner and severely worn drive sprocket on the module. Paul @ B&J's had seen one, but it was warranty so he didn't touch it. There is a supplier in the US shipping 200 replacement kits a year for the last 3 years, and the BSM kits were actually on international backorder earlier this year. It seems like a developing issue.

The mileage where it shows is in the 100,000km to 160,000km range from what I read. If that's the general failure mileage, and ave mileage is 20-25k km/year, then in theory, more should be showing up soon.

I'm sure there is some internet hype involved too, but I've come across enough confirmed cases now to be a little worried.
          Stefan
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i would say that is was a common issue 5 years ago when i replaced about 4 or 5 of them. sucks dude.
            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

No dice on assistance from VW Canada. Obviously there is no real issue.

A couple places have the kits at 1000$ less than dealer. I think I will try to get the parts from Roseland Technical Services. Bought a TB kit from him a while back and he seems like a pretty good guy, plus Canadian outfit, so no UPS brokerage to deal with.
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

WOW...sorry to hear about this Stefan...so fix and keep, or are you going to sell it? I'm on TDIClub all the time, and this is the first I've heard of this...
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651

933 posts and started 4 years ago approx, its a big issue and a major reason I got rid of my Passat.
                  Ben
                  2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                  2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                  Her's

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                    WOW...sorry to hear about this Stefan...so fix and keep, or are you going to sell it? I'm on TDIClub all the time, and this is the first I've heard of this...
                    Will be significantly less at Tunedub. Big price, but not really gaining anything by ditching it and getting something else.
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651

933 posts and started 4 years ago approx, its a big issue and a major reason I got rid of my Passat.
                      Ah ok...my oversight...Golf PD is where my limited experience lies...Sheesh Ben...you need to be more active here! Lol
                      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                        Ah ok...my oversight...Golf PD is where my limited experience lies...Sheesh Ben...you need to be more active here! Lol
                        Heh.. he let me know about it. My own damn fault for not appreciating that it was such a big deal.
                        Stefan
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I did warn him, but I also might have steered him towards the Passat when his Jetta died as well. I really enjoyed the Passat when I was driving it, just didn't like the bills coming up on it. With everything that's been replaced already on your car I wouldn't sell it if I was you. Most will see it as a lemon with everything that's been replaced, even though its new dealer parts, its perception.

200 balance shaft kits from one online retailer is a big number considering I think vw only sold 23,000 passat TDi's for 2004-2005 model run for NA.
                          Ben
                          2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                          Her's

Comment

looks like World Impex is the best bet. Boraparts also had a good price, but they have a waiting list for this parts. Will try to order tomorrow.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Parts are in... off to tunedub.
                              Stefan
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X