Tints? Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tints? Yay or Nay?

Thinking of getting a tint all around, only thing holding me back is the cops and the price, anyone in Calgary recommend a place or have experience with dealing with the cops about this, all feedback is appreciated

Re: Tints? Yay or Nay?

Just get a mellow tint all around and the cops wont hassle you. They just dont like 15% and limo on the front, that kind of thing. But i'm sure you will get the cop that wont tolerate any tint but seems like cops don't notice mine. I did 40% all around.

I did mine through shadow tint and they did a sweet job. Got the premium tint so it has lifetime warranty. The tint started scratching from rolling the window up and down, took it back and they retinted the window and fixed the problem.
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Yeah, what Mitch says. I did 40% all around and have never been hassled. I've had it on for about 2 years now.
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Depends on the mood of the cop. Some let it slide, some will give you issues. With 40%, I dont think you'll have too many problems
        Patryk
        Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
        08 VW .:R32
        04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I think it all has to do with the type of car you have and your driving style. if a cop pulls you over for speeding or swerving a lot and your car looks like you belong in the mafia and you look like a gangster, he might feel the need to ding you with another ticket for window tint. If you are driving normally along a road not speeding, in an inconspicuous car (like a silver golf) there is almost zero chance that a cop will pull you over just for tint alone.

Comment

i had mine done at shadow tint, they did a great job. 10% on the rear and rear side windows, 25% on the front windows. in three years of driving i have only got one $60 ticket. But honestly now, i regret doing it. its pretty expensive and i think the money could be put to something else.

Comment

I took Danaldson's advice and went with a dark tint from Shadow Tinting. I went 20% all around. I believe I had it done late July/early August and haven't been hassled yet. That isn't to say you wouldn't get a ticket an hour into picking up your car though, I must just be lucky

Overall, I'd recommend it. Depending on the car, it can totally change the way it looks (for the better). Having black leather seats, it sure makes a nice difference in the summer. Owning a C30, mods are expensive so the money I spent towards the tint couldn't really have went anywhere any better.
              Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Shadow Tint on Macleod Tr. (403-999-8468) is great! They may cost slightly more than other shops, but their quality of work is unbeatable! There's a reason all the nicest cars go through their shop. Personally, I've had 4 cars done by them (tint and 3M wrap) and never had a single issue. Make sure you get their premium window film and pay the extra $15 per window for the "shaved" edge.

I drove my GTI with 15% all around for 3 years. I got one window ticket in those three years, but I was pulled over for speeding and he gave me the extra ticket for the windows. If you're caught for speeding or any other traffic violation, you'll likely get the window ticket too (it's about $100). However, I was never pulled over exculsively for the windows and I pulled up next to, passed, was passed by, etc. countless police in those 3 years. So I think they generally turn a blind eye, they have better things to do, unless you're doing something else...

That said, my GTI was stock, so didn't draw too much attention. Could be different on a heavily modified car that gets more attention...
                - Jordan
                '13 VW Golf R // '12 Audi Q5 3.2L // '12 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Comment

Shadow Tint has always had good customer service for me but I haven't always been 100% happy with the product, found bubbles and things. But then when I go back they make it right, just kind of always happens. I've been tinted there 3 or 4 times.

I run limo tint all the way around on my black GTI, 25% I think? Its pretty extreme, like I can't even see out very well at night! On this car in this color I think tint is a must, but other cars I don't like tint at all - depends on the car and the look you are going for.

For the cops... well I already have one tint ticket since I got the car. I told them I bought a dealer demo car and it came this way, they gave me a $40 ticket, let me drive away. I paid it. Driving tax. Its not like they give you demerits.

I have heard the stories of people being forced to peel it... but 2 windows even if you have to peel them, you can probably afford to get them re-tinted the next day... if you can't maybe also don't get tint. But it's not much more than a tank of gas or two right?
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                    Shadow Tint has always had good customer service for me but I haven't always been 100% happy with the product, found bubbles and things. But then when I go back they make it right, just kind of always happens. I've been tinted there 3 or 4 times.

I run limo tint all the way around on my black GTI, 25% I think? Its pretty extreme, like I can't even see out very well at night! On this car in this color I think tint is a must, but other cars I don't like tint at all - depends on the car and the look you are going for.

For the cops... well I already have one tint ticket since I got the car. I told them I bought a dealer demo car and it came this way, they gave me a $40 ticket, let me drive away. I paid it. Driving tax. Its not like they give you demerits.

I have heard the stories of people being forced to peel it... but 2 windows even if you have to peel them, you can probably afford to get them re-tinted the next day... if you can't maybe also don't get tint. But it's not much more than a tank of gas or two right?
                    this is exactly like me. great service, but again i have had a few small problems, but they gladly fixed them for free. but i think limo tint (the really dark stuff) is 5%, 25% is less tinted. im running 10% in the rear windows, and 25% on the front two like i said before, but i think i should have gone darker.

a good friend of my dad's supplies all the stuff for shadow tint, and i will definitely be going there to re tint my new rear window.

Comment

I think the question of tint also depends on the type of aesthetic theme you have in mind for your car. If you are rolling around on black wheels etc, I think tint puts everything together quite nicely. I have 35% all around and have not been bothered by the police. I had mine done at Shadow Tinting as well and had a fairly good experience. The quality was top notch, but they busted a clip in the rear passenger door - the rear window cannot be operated by that passenger now, only by the driver. Of course they ordered the part and told me to come back and get it fixed, but that is a pain in the ass and they refused to give me any type of price break on it.

Comment

I have 55% all around on the benzo..... never been hassled by the authoratay. Done at shadow tint.
                        nice and light during the day and dark enough that you can't make out faces at night......

Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post
                          dark enough that you can't make out faces at night......

Comment

i have 20%, and ive never been troubled by police
                            ~~TODD~~
                            '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

+1 for a yay on the window tint...

I have had tinted windows all the way around for the last 10 years and have only received 2 tickets... Ive got 5% in the back with 20% in the front... I like the contrast of windows being a little lighter in the front. Just dont drive like a jag off and you'll be fine..

Comment

Working...
                              X