Lowering springs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering springs question

I am considering buying H&R sport springs for my mkVI GTI and am wondering if anyone has these fitted on their car? Is it wise to buy aftermarket shocks and struts as well? After having a horrible experience with coilovers on my mkIV GTI I definitely won't be going that route.

Re: Lowering springs question

I think the consensus will be to go with coilovers but since you seem to have an aversion to them, I'd recommend aftermarket shocks.
    Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Originally posted by saabhutter View Post
      I think the consensus will be to go with coilovers but since you seem to have an aversion to them, I'd recommend aftermarket shocks.
      Couldn't have said it better myself. However if bags are a viable option you should go with those.
      Dylan

Comment

just dont run shocks

Comment

Look at something like a cupkit then, not the most common these days but should offer the best of what you are after subtle drop and quality ride.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

If you are against coilovers (?) then get the h&r cup kit. I originally ran the springs in my mk5 and quickly moved on.
            2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
            Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

I haven't seen cup kits before and have heard little about them. Are they basically non-adjustable coil overs?
              Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

a cup kit is just a specifically matched shock and spring, ive heared good things about h&r's setups. gives you a non adjustable drop with a nice ride as well.
                Last edited by Danaldson; 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I got a hr cup in my 03 jetta and love the ride
                  12 Volvo XC 90
                  03 Jetta1.8T
                  95 Cabrio VRT
                  90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

I'm on koni fsd's with eibach pro kit springs. It's also a good combo of drop and feel IMO. Definitely stiffer, highway ride is really smooth, road feel when spirited driving is great.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am mainly against coil overs because I had a horrible experience with some FK coils. They seized up regardless of the care I put into them, the dampening didn't work and they eventually nearly shot a hole through my hood no joke. I guess I am trying to find a way to have a bit of a drop with a smooth, comfortable ride and figured springs with some shocks would be a good alternative to coils.

Comment

Last edited by CGDoig; 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puppage View Post
                          Thanks for the replies. I am mainly against coil overs because I had a horrible experience with some FK coils. They seized up regardless of the care I put into them, the dampening didn't work and they eventually nearly shot a hole through my hood no joke. I guess I am trying to find a way to have a bit of a drop with a smooth, comfortable ride and figured springs with some shocks would be a good alternative to coils.
                          hmm im sitting on fk streetline coilovers right now. i have heard really bad things from them though haha, but i still ended up buying them. i must have gotten a good batch . *knocks on wood*
                          Last edited by Danaldson; 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

If you are basing your opinion of "coilovers suck" from your experience with FK streetlines then you are not giving coilovers a fair chance at all. FK streetlines are some of the WORST coilovers, period. So forget all your opinions about coilovers and give them a fair unbiased chance with a set of GOOD QUALITY coils such as h&r or bilstein or konis.

Comment

Truth be told too I agree with Mech. If I could do it again and had the extra cash I'd buy some kw v2's

Comment

Working...
                              X