Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost my only key FOB (well its not found yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my only key FOB (well its not found yet)

Hi guys, can someone give me some advice on ordering a new keyfob (switch blade key) for a 2003 GLI? Luckily I was at home when I discovered i had lost the keyfob and I'm using the service spare key right now.

I've only heard that its expensive at the dealer but are there other places/options too?

Thanks

Re: Lost my only key FOB (well its not found yet)

I would get the electronics and fob portion from deautokey.com and the top key portion with blank key and transponder from ECS. Then you need to take the top portion into the dealer to get programmed unless you have a defeat immobilizer. If its a mk4 the links are below:

http://deautokey.com/category/vw-key...em-electronics
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Fob/ES1866570/

Comment

thanks for the advice, I just called Norden and they priced a keyfob at $185 each (which will come cut for my car) and another $60 for programming the key to the car.

I asked if I can bring in a blank key for them to cut and was told that "the ordered keys are precut"... so, does anyone know if cutting blank keys is supposed to be as simple as walking into a dealership to get it done?

Comment

Just to update on my own post for anyone's future reference.

All Lock Rescue in Edmonton will cut the blank key for the VW at $40 a piece. So if you add it up the parts are about $40 for the transponder (deautokey.com)and $40 for the blank key portion (ECS). Plus the key cutting, that's roughly $120 plus shipping for the parts from deautokey and ECS. I'd have to get the immobilizer programmed at the dealer for $60 (what was quoted by Norden). So that's about $180 to $200 total avoiding the Dealer.

Going to the dealer: $185 for the entire key, already cut to order, plus $60 for programming: total is $245.
        So $45 more expensive.

Either way: sucks to lose your key.

Comment

Unless you have an immobilizer defeated ECU. Mine doesn't need the programming so i can get a $6 blank key from deautokey.com. In total $35 for the electronics plus $6 for the key blank, then $40 to get it cut is only $80/key which i can deal with

Comment

You can reprogram the key yourself without going to the dealership. Just use the screwdriver method.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
              You can reprogram the key yourself without going to the dealership. Just use the screwdriver method.
              No you cannot.

That is to program the fob, not the transponder. The transponder is a little "pill" that is located in the top of the key, it has to be programmed to your immobilizer ring that is around your ignition to make the car start (if not immo defeated).

Comment

maybe this is good "opportunity" to get the Revo stage 1 software, get some performance and get the immobilizer defeat at the same time...then get the key the $80 method...

Comment

That is what i did, got a Gonzo tune and spent an extra $75 to get it immo defeated. That way it will be about even cost for buying 1 new key

Comment

or just borrow the software from Brent and do it yourself, I did it, and it worked.
                    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Well its a Christmas miracle! I found my keys dropped in the backyard frozen in the snow but completely working! This money can be spent another day now!

Comment

Glad for you!

Comment

Originally posted by eirjordan337 View Post
                          Well its a Christmas miracle! I found my keys dropped in the backyard frozen in the snow but completely working! This money can be spent another day now!
                          Or you could get a spare key so you have it in case this happens again and you dont find them......
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                          X