MK6 LED tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK6 LED tail lights

I just installed some LED tail lights w/ rear fog and wiring harnesses. I assumed that coding was need simply to remove the error that pops up, but when I turned my lights on the "inner lights" (the ones physically attached to the hatch) were not working, nor were the reverse lights. Will coding be needed to take care of that issue as well?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Yes I am a noob so please don't flame; I'm impressed with myself that I actually did a DIY.

Re: MK6 LED tail lights

Our ex-President installed them on his GTI before and there was some coding involved from what I remember. Scott (CGY_GTI) also did them on his if I recall correctly...
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

On the LED tails with the rear fog, they should work normally without the coding. If you haven't run the two new tires to/from the euroswitch yet, then the rear fog will come on when the car is in reverse, but other than that it should work normally. I had my LED tails on for nearly three months before I finally did the coding for the tails and did the wiring for my euroswitch.

Where did you order them from? I remember hearing about some of the ECS adapters (possibly others?) having wires crossed or something along those lines that would cause them to not work as they should. That would be the first thing I'd check. The only other thing that I've heard of that would cause a problem like that was caused by using the wrong coding.

That's all I've got at the moment. Check the adapters and if you're still having the problem after that then I'll see what I can dig up on Vortex.
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. Yes, I did order them from ECS Tuning and used their wiring adapters. I came across a thread that says there have been problems with the wiring adapters. I will go check to see if that is the issue, otherwise it is most likely that I just need the coding.

Comment

It turns out the wiring harness all had very loose connections so I just took some needle nose pliers and jammed them in properly and now the inner lamps are working

Where did you get the coding done CGY_GTI?

Comment

Good to hear! I had my car in at TuneDub for an oil change and they did the coding for me. You could probably get it done at Concept-1 as well. We have a club Vag-Com cable as well... Sent Ryan a PM and he could probably help you out. What year is your car? I can dig up the proper coding for you if you want.
            Scott

Comment

Thanks cgy_gti. I'll be taking my car to tunedub rather than the stealership from now on and will get them to do the coding

Comment

No problem, glad I could help!
                Scott

Comment

If I was interested in changing my tails but I don't have the Euro switch as of this moment, can I buy the LED's with rear fog and retrofit them later or will it not work entirely?

Also, is it plug and play if I don't want rear fogs to work or do I need to VAGCom it regardless?
                  Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

I ran a set with a rear fog and never put in the Euro switch, just means you have only a single reverse light. I did have to do the coding though as when I first plugged them in the rear fog light was one all the time till I did the coding, then it never came on again. I left that particular light unplugged till I had the coding done, not ideal but it did work for a couple days.

This was on a 2010 so the default coding on a newer car might give a different result.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                      I ran a set with a rear fog and never put in the Euro switch, just means you have only a single reverse light. I did have to do the coding though as when I first plugged them in the rear fog light was one all the time till I did the coding, then it never came on again. I left that particular light unplugged till I had the coding done, not ideal but it did work for a couple days.

This was on a 2010 so the default coding on a newer car might give a different result.
                      So what you're telling me is that if I don't plan to retrofit a Euro switch anytime soon, I should go for the LED's without rear fogs? And coding is inevitable?

Ugh.
                      Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
                        So what you're telling me is that if I don't plan to retrofit a Euro switch anytime soon, I should go for the LED's without rear fogs? And coding is inevitable?

Ugh.
                        Well if you went no rear fog, the coding would not be required to make them work, just most likely to clear the bulb out error you would get on start-up, so if you could live with that no worries. I just found a screaming deal on a set that had the fog, hence why I got it, I would have otherwise probably opted for the non-fog versions.
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                          Well if you went no rear fog, the coding would not be required to make them work, just most likely to clear the bulb out error you would get on start-up, so if you could live with that no worries. I just found a screaming deal on a set that had the fog, hence why I got it, I would have otherwise probably opted for the non-fog versions.
                          Ah I see and that bulb error can be coded out? I wonder if the dealership is willing to do it for free after my install..

*insert puppy eyes*

Don

sigpic

Comment

Any LED tails will require coding, the coding just changes depending on if you have the rear fog or not. Once you do the coding, no more bulb out error. If you go for the ones with the rear fog, I think the fog light will come on whenever the car is in reverse until you either wire up a Euroswitch and the two trigger wires. I'm not sure the coding on its own will make the fog light not come on. I got my Euroswitch from Natty for $85 I think with the two trigger wires. The wiring itself it fairly easy to do and doesn't take too long, it's just awkward when you're trying mess around the wires at the CECM end of things, which is under the dashboard.
                            Scott

Comment

Once I had my set coded the rear fog never came on, even in reverse it would stay off, so it is like you have a burnt out reverse light on the one side.

Do not let the coding stand in the way of getting a fantastic mod for your car, LED tails look so much better!!
                              Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X