Cleaning and lubricating Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning and lubricating Coilovers?

Anti-seize is terrible for this application - it will be completely embedded with dirt, pebbles, etc. This wouldn't be much of an issue if you completely cleaned them in Spring. I also wouldn't use tape, as you're going to trap moisture/salt in there for many months at a time. Boeshield T9 works well, but you need to use very thin coats so that it dries up. The aerosol is best for this application.
    Jeremy Brehm - Click the cars below for build threads!

'02 Audi TT 225
    - 2930lbs - Built 2.0L - PTE 6262 - 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - 9000RPM (RIP :()

'06 Audi A3 3.2Q

Comment

Originally posted by cheeba View Post
      Anti-seize is terrible for this application - it will be completely embedded with dirt, pebbles, etc. This wouldn't be much of an issue if you completely cleaned them in Spring. I also wouldn't use tape, as you're going to trap moisture/salt in there for many months at a time. Boeshield T9 works well, but you need to use very thin coats so that it dries up. The aerosol is best for this application.
      Well lets think about this logically

- Using antiseize by itself will pick up lots of dirt etc so you are correct
      - Using tape by itself probably won't trap any moisture as long as you do a good job of cleaning before hand and a good job of taping
      - Using both will prevent debris from getting caught and will prevent any moisture from reaching the bare metal

So long story short i am very much opposed to your opinions here...i don't think you have completely thought it out before responding

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
        Well lets think about this logically

- Using antiseize by itself will pick up lots of dirt etc so you are correct
        - Using tape by itself probably won't trap any moisture as long as you do a good job of cleaning before hand and a good job of taping
        - Using both will prevent debris from getting caught and will prevent any moisture from reaching the bare metal

So long story short i am very much opposed to your opinions here...i don't think you have completely thought it out before responding
        have to say I agree here. Common sense suggests that if you completely clean the surface, and properly tape all the threads, there should be no room for moisture to get in and/or stay there corrode anything. All you are doing is covering the bare, exposed metal. It will never be 100% perfect, welcome to Alberta, but it should do the job just fine. I personally don't have experience with either of these methods, but it seems fairly logic.
        Dubwerkz -
        E36 325i - Sold.
        E36 328is - Sold.
        TR MKIV GTI 1.8T - Daily.
        www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
          . . . i don't think you have completely thought it out before responding . . .
          Really? That's a pretty poor attitude, and some interesting illogical conclusions for a mech. Engineer. The product I recommended was developed specifically for aerospace engineering, and is used extensively in aviation; good luck finding anyone in that field that recommends slathering something in anti-seize and wrapping duct tape around it There's nothing wrong with being wrong about something, but maybe you should take the time to know what you're talking about before you call people out in a confrontational manner.
          Jeremy Brehm - Click the cars below for build threads!

'02 Audi TT 225
          - 2930lbs - Built 2.0L - PTE 6262 - 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - 9000RPM (RIP :()

'06 Audi A3 3.2Q

Comment

^ He said he was "opposed" to the opinions, and never once mentioned covering anything in duct tape...
            WHY CAN'T EVERYONE JUST GET ALONGGG
            Dubwerkz -
            E36 325i - Sold.
            E36 328is - Sold.
            www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

Really? That's a pretty poor attitude, and some interesting illogical conclusions for a mech. Engineer. The product I recommended was developed specifically for aerospace engineering, and is used extensively in aviation; good luck finding anyone in that field that recommends slathering something in anti-seize and wrapping duct tape around it There's nothing wrong with being wrong about something, but maybe you should take the time to know what you're talking about before you call people out in a confrontational manner.
              You come in here completely dismissing the idea, i am backing up my proven ideas with some logical thinking.
              Is your solution going to provide a better solution FOR THIS PARTICULAR ENVIRONMENT than what you CURRENTLY HAVE IN YOUR HOUSE FOR FREE? Probably not.
              I have thoroughly thought this out and i am still sticking by my prior statement that coating the threads with antiseize and then wrapping the coated threads with electrical tape will save your threads on your coilover for the winter climates like we have here.

Sure your idea may work, it may be successful, i'm not going to comment on whether or not it will work because i have no prior experience with that product. However i do know that my suggestion WILL work, that is why i take offense when you come in here and dismiss my FREE suggestion and go on to provide FALSE information as to why it won't work.
              Last edited by MechEngg; 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I usually don't do this, but I'm going to be "that guy" here.

My thoughts about your reply are in bold. You're totally changing what Sean is saying here. Sean gave you a very reasonable reply IMO. The very first sentence you posted in this thread was confrontational. You are also being very biased here - have you weighed the pros and cons of each method? Your initial reply pretty much just said "Your method sucks, my way is best". I'm sorry, but I think most of us will follow the advice given to us be someone we know, in this case, Sean. You have 12 posts here... I had all of the same thoughts about one of your replies to a previous thread. Danny asked for people's input on what car he should buy next... an R32, B5 S4, TT, or A3. You went ahead and pretty much said TT or nothing, again, a biased opinion. If you had weighed the pros and cons of each car in that case and then suggested the TT as the best option, then great, that is productive.

Sean's method makes perfect sense, which I why I plan on doing the same thing as him this year. Why go out and buy some specialty aviation stuff that I can only assume costs significantly more and would be much harder to find? Anti-seize is easy to find and so is electrical tape. That being said, I would be willing to give the stuff you suggest a shot if someone gave me some of it. If done properly, there's no reason why that method won't work. If anti-seize is so bad for this kind of application, why do the majority of people who have coilovers use it?

Sorry bud, but I think you're in the wrong in this case. Sean never dismissed your idea since he has never tried it, but you're exaggerating and throwing his replies out of proportion. Not really the best way to go about making a point, especially for someone that we don't really know.
                Last edited by CGY_GTI; 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM.
                Scott
                '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                  Danny asked for people's input on what car he should buy next... an R32, B5 S4, TT, or A3. You went ahead and pretty much said TT or nothing, again, a biased opinion. If you had weighed the pros and cons of each car in that case and then suggested the TT as the best option, then great, that is productive.
                  completeley agree here. didnt really put much input other than TTTTTTTTTTTTTT! but whatever, i think i have narrowed it down.

The product I recommended was developed specifically for aerospace engineering, and is used extensively in aviation
                  as for this^, like sean said, most people use the stuff that they have laying around and it works quite well in many peoples opinion. If you wanna go buy me some of this aero superduperspace aviation stuff i would be glad to try it out. but sounds expensive... and leads back to how people use stuff that is already in the garage.

just my 5cents... because the penny is no longer in use. Ba Dum Tss!

Comment

The product I recommended was developed specifically for aerospace engineering
                    Specifically for aerospace. Not for coilovers.
                    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

This sh!t is starting to sound like rocket science. I'm going back to a cup kit
                      Patryk
                      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                      08 VW .:R32
                      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I didn't think my question would be so controversial...

Comment

lol it shouldnt have to be....

Comment

I'm going to use both - at the same time...
                            Dubwerkz -
                            E36 325i - Sold.
                            E36 328is - Sold.
                            www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

I've been putting way too much research into this and have come up with a product I think I will be trying.

http://www.actioncan.com/type/486/DM...ricant-Aerosol

Comment

^ looks decent, hmm...
                                Dubwerkz -
                                E36 325i - Sold.
                                E36 328is - Sold.
                                www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X