Engine temperature gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine temperature gauge

I come to you guys again with some need of assistance, My temperature gauge needle just started to climb randomly while i was driving up hill so when i crest the hill and start going downwards the needle begins to decrease temperature and return to its normal 90 degree status. I also found that when i just coast it or sit at a light the gauge returns to normal. I checked the engine no leaks, full coolant,good oil level, and it doesn't seem to be hotter then usual. i ran a full vagcom scan on it and nothing showed up so i'm thinking its a bad sensor? or something like that?
    My car is a 02 1.8t with stage to running 5w40 oil.
    All help greatly appreciated (:
    -Terry
    -2014 S4
    insta:Whiney_S4

Re: Engine temperature gauge

When was your water pump last replaced, are your fans switches working properly.
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

I don't think the water pump has ever been replaced and yes they are working properly ): It runs fine it seems i tried stressing it out by driving around with the heater at max and kinda speeding but the temp only increased when i went up a hill ??
      -Terry
      -2014 S4

Comment

I would start by replacing the coolant temp sensor. If you have the full version of vcds you can watch the blocks in the engine and cluster for the reading of the CTS and this will tell you if it is faulty. Don't remember the block numbers of the top of my head.

Its the only thin that makes sense to me right now. It would be reversed for the water pump same with the fans.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

It will not throw a code for the waterpump except possibly for overheating. Drain some coolant, through a filter if possible, and look for bits of plastic. Plastic = waterpump done. Mine split on the drive shaft so it did provide some pumping, but could not keep up at speed. VW covered mine under warranty, but it happened at 80k km, I don't know how long the warranty is/was. If it is that, do the timing belt while in there.
          Jeff
          Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
          Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Its your water pump, and even if it is not you are on borrowed time with the water pump. You should have replaced the pump during the last timing belt install along with a bunch of other things. If you have never done a timing belt yet due to low mileage ect then I would highly recommend doing that along with the rollers, tensioners, and water pump.
            Ben
            2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
            2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
            2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
            Her's
            2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Sounds like the water pump to me as well.

Still getting good heat from the vents?
              Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the replies (: and yea I get great heat threw the vents everything is runnin fine I changed my temperature sensore and I'm still getting issues but I checked the drained coolan and saw bits of plastic so time for a new pump and belt
                -Terry
                -2014 S4

Comment

Make sure the new water pump has a metal impeller. They still sell plastic ones and you really don't want to get back into one of those if possible.
                  Ben
                  2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                  2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                  2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                  Her's
                  2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

i might have to bring it in i dont have the nesasary lifting equipment to support the engine):
                    -Terry
                    -2014 S4

Comment

Do you not have a floor jack?
                      Dylan

Comment

no ): only a scissor with axle stands had to leave my big one in hawaii
                        -Terry
                        -2014 S4

Comment

Dont they start at like 30 for a cheap one from canadian tire?
                          Dylan

Comment

i'm not sure lol, im just trying to check every possible angle before the pump because i found out the pieces of plastic in my mix were from the bucket i used/: but i have stumbled apon a new symptom my gauge in my car reads 90c but when i hit it with my ir heatgun it says 29-32c depending were i hit. then when i hit two bars above 90c bar it reads 50-55c
                            -Terry
                            -2014 S4

Comment

Thor, if you want, give me a call at Calgary Autoworks and we can get you in and taken care of. We still have our 10% off VW/Audi Services till the end of Feb 2013.
                              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X