Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf R line sportwagon

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/03/06/vo...e-geneva-2013/

With the introduction of the newest Volkswagen Golf Variant, we get an early look at what will most likely be the next-generation Jetta SportWagen here in North America. To further wet our appetities, VW is now teasing something a little sportier with the Concept R-Line. Looking the part of a GTI wagon (or a stretched Golf R), the Golf Variant Concept R-Line has a production-ready appearance that has us hoping we'll see this sporty wagon sooner rather than later.

The R-Line starts off with a new fascia that isn't quite as aggressive as the recently introduced GTI, but it gives the new styling some extra punch. Below the fascia is a lower splitter that visually carries back into the rocker panel extensions, and the rear of the car gets some bright exhaust tips and a rear diffuser. The Lapis Blue Metallic paint job probably does enough on its own to add a sporty flair to the Golf wagon, and it's all finished off with 18-inch split-spoke wheels. Inside, the Concept R-Line shows off sport seats wrapped in carbon leather featuring blue nappa inserts in the middle.

Rightfully so, VW brought the Concept R-Line to Geneva with its TDI and 4Motion all-wheel-drive system. A sporty, all-wheel-drive diesel wagon? Yes, please. Scroll down for the full press blast with all the details.

The Golf Estate Concept R-Line – initial facts

Concept car based on the new Golf Estate:

- Golf Estate Concept R-Line celebrates its world premiere in Geneva

- Golf Estate Concept R-Line confirms the dynamic potential of the model range

- Sporty customised exterior design connects it to the world of the GTI

Wolfsburg/Geneva, 05 March 2013 - Just one day after the world premiere of the new Golf Estate, Volkswagen is presenting an especially sporty R-Line version of it: the Golf Estate Concept R-Line. The new Golf Estate has gained quite a bit of autonomy and charisma compared to the predecessor model-at the same time, the Golf Estate Concept R-Line highlights the dynamic potential of the new body version of the Golf. For the first time: There has never been a Golf Estate in R-Line design; so the concept shows for the first time how Volkswagen might envision this version.

On the exterior, the Golf Estate Concept R-Line steps onstage with, among other things, a customised front end, a likewise modified rear, powerful sill trims and new 18-inch R-Line wheels. The interior is characterised by leather sports seats and other elements in carbon fibre look. It is powered by an efficient 110 kW / 150 PS 2.0-litre TDI of the latest construction type. The power of the engine (up to 320 Newton metres) is superbly translated to the road by a 4MOTION all-wheel drive (with new Haldex-5 clutch).

Side profile. The high gloss black sill trims are one eye-catching visual feature of the concept. They extend not only to the side sills that reach right into the wheel housings as usual; rather, they go nearly all the way round. Striking: The "Salvador" type 18-inch R-Line wheels painted in "sterling silver" and the splitters (aerodynamic add-on parts in motor sports style) below the front spoiler, which are also very visible from the side.

Front end. The newly designed bumper in the R-Line design shows a dominant air intake in the middle that is bordered on the bottom by front spoilers painted in body colour ("Lapis Blue Metallic"). The air intake is framed to the left and the right by two diagonal bars also painted in body colour. Outside of them is another air intake on each side with a fog light inserted into them. Underneath are the striking splitters (aerodynamic add-on parts), a visual continuation of the black side sills.

Rear end. The modified design of the rear end is dominated by a sporty and distinctive black diffuser, into which the chrome tailpipes of the exhaust system have been integrated on the left side of the vehicle. The diffuser in turn is framed by the visually all-around continuation of the sill trim. The roof spoiler is likewise built in the R-Line design. The already wide track of the new Golf Estate (1,549 mm in the front, 1,520 mm in the back) and the 18-inch wheel with 225/40 tyres used for the concept car make for a sporty appearance of the rear end, which is in no way inferior to a new Golf GTI or GTD.

Interior. The exclusively designed interior of the Golf Estate Concept R-Line corresponds to the exterior both visually ("Color & Trim") and in terms of its equipment. Driver and passenger sit on ergonomically designed sport seats. The centre panels of all five seats consist of high-tone nappa leather in "Space Blue." Black carbon leather has been used for the inner surfaces of the side supports; this leather with its carbon structure look is also featured on the door inlays and outside surfaces of the driver and passenger seat backrest. The other outside surfaces of the seats, the steering wheel and the middle arm rest are kept in black nappa. The designers of the interior opted for "Crystal Grey" for the decorative stitching. In sync with that: the roof liner in "Pearl Grey." The entry plates and the black floor mats with blue leather piping were also designed in the R-Line style. Another highlight is the interior trim in noble black that follows the Golf Highline.

Boot volume. As sporty as it is, the Golf Estate Concept R-Line impresses with a great amount of space and a boot that is as flexible as it is large. Loaded up to the backrest of the back seat and up to its height, the cargo volume amounts to 605 litres; loaded up to the front seat backrests and under the roof, the new Golf Estate offers a cargo volume of no less than 1,620 litres. No doubt, with such values, the sporty concept car is capable of mastering the majority of all transportation challenges.
    sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
    His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
    Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
    Past:
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
    2004 .:R32 BMP
    2001.5 Noggy blue s4
    2000 VW GTI 1.8T
    1997 VW Jetta VR6

Re: Golf R line sportwagon

By far my favourite MK7. From what I know about all of the MK7s, this is the only one that I'd actually look at buying
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

I was never really into wagons...but this... this is pretty nice.
      2011 CW MK6 GTI

APR Stage 1 / Koni Coilovers / 18x8.5 Miro 111 ET45 / R Tails / LEDs (Interior, Side Markers, Parking Lights, License Plate) / Euroswitch

Comment

Wonder if there is a 6-Speed manual option? That would really round out the package.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
          Wonder if there is a 6-Speed manual option? That would really round out the package.
          I would hope so. The MK6 TDIs came with either a 6-speed or DSG. We probably won't get the 4-mo here unfortunately
          Scott
          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

The Golf wagon always seems too tall for me somehow.

It doesn't look like a wagon, just looks like a weirdly big hatchback?

The european Passat Variant is so much classier, and a wagon needs to have class.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Vomit on the tdi part
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                Vomit on the tdi part
                Interesting. Care to explain why?
                Patryk
                Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                08 VW .:R32
                04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

This will ending up jacking the thread im sure , but here it goes ,,,, the tdi was a great engine . WAS!!!! but as consumers we demanded more power and less noise problem one . also as tighter regulations were introduced on emissions things again needed to be changed . also the fuel itself has gone through a series of clean up efforts reducing the harmful stuff to the environment. so to get the efficiency of the tdi up for more power and emissions down the tolerances in the pressure system were changed they went to a common rail injection system and then the natural lubricating properties of diesel have been striped out for more emission reasons . so we have a engine demanding better lubrication and in turn we supply it with dryer less lubricating fuel . then after that we added more technology to the exhaust systems to clean up the burnt fuel . so we introduce the dpf or diesel particulate filter . now i like that we have attempted to clean up the air and would never help in the removal of these systems . but the system in the Tuareg tdi is superior with the urea injection (accept the freezing at -20 and colder ) but they retain the common rail system and therein lies the problem in all new diesel engines . the pumps have been constantly failing after the warranty is running out on these vehicles and when it does . it destroys the injectors . and because its a diesel the injectors are huge monies . the bill from a dealer for when a 2009 and newer car fails is over $8000 even from me its around 6k .now VW claimed to have resolved this for the 2010 cars but i have a 2010 in my compound that says they are lying . a quick Google will find that all the common rail cars regardless of manufacturer are having said failures , and not under warranty so the various companies don't have to stand behind the flaw . but at 140000 k ish no one would want a 7k bill to keep their vw going . now lets compare another problem . milage . i have 10 or more owners of the fsi and tfsi cars i have been closely monitoring for items that commonly fail and fuel consumption . in areas like yong males beating their cars to older guys that hyper millage. in a tdi most owners report around 850 -950 hyway kms on a 50 l tank good i agree. however a mk5 gti can easily achieve 800k on a same size tank . fast forward to say a 2013 passat and the tdi gets 1000-1100 k on a tank that the gas car gets 900-1000 on . and then factor in things that commonly fail on either . and you are left with say a glow plug for a diesel in a 80,000 time frame at $141.(if your lucky only one) vs spark plugs at say 19.50 x4 and a coil pack for what ever reason ,$56 (prices are retail i know we can do cheaper ) air filters and a fuel filter are all about the same between models , now a high pressure pump in a fsi can and i have seen a few fail . retail is around $450 for these and 200 in labor to install . , and no residual failures when they fail . vs 6-8 k for when the tdi fails .the reasons go on and on . and then you get these people that say i had no problems with my 09 tdi ever . well they sold the car to get a new one before warranty had gone to far out and without realizing it passed on a giant financial burden to the next owner . so yes the new diesels are torque but hello have you driven a gti dsg OMG that's fun and
                  reliable .I can fix any car but the fact that every person in my family either drives a 1.8 or 2.0 fsi or tsi should tell you all that i would never personally own a tdi . and its not the idea of diesels i love and still highly recommend alh tdi cars . they dominate in the cheap to run class of cars . and will be around forever . If you doubt me just hang out at the lot of a vw dealership . see if any of the staff drive the tdis .... (09 and up lol) if they do it wont be for long here google this hpfp tdi failure see what pops up . i have personally had 4 customers this month trade in there cars for gli gti and passat cc cars . and all of them over the moon happy with the fuel economy and power .
                  Last edited by turbomeyers; 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

here is a similar view from a European journalist
                    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...-vehicles.html
                    sigpic

Comment

That was a good little blurb Chris, but if I can make a small comment. Dont be so frustrated with VW, breathe while you type, and use proper punctuation/paragraphs. That was some great info in there, but my God was that ever difficult to read hahaha. Be happy!

Loves ya
                      Patryk
                      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                      08 VW .:R32
                      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I just need evryone to realize time moves on and yes 10 years ago diesel looked poised to take over .... but times change . and the gas is so much better . for crying out loud a hemi can get close to 30mpg no turbo in a ram truck . wait until konigseeg releases its valvless technology increaseing hp and effeciancy to any engine by 30% . 40mpg +30% is 52 mpg out of a car that is 206 hp +30% 267 hp in a gti .... and is so clean to the environment that ina city like la or london the air leaving the car is cleaner than the air going into the air box
                        sigpic

Comment

all i can say is...future family hauler, love it
                          I take pictures for money.

Comment

cars are gay.
                            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                              cars are gay.

Haha that's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X