Just Installed Coilovers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Installed Coilovers...

So i just finished the installation of my Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers on my mk6 golf. I was told they would "slam" the car to a point that it is not even drivable, which was fine because then i could fiddle with adjustments and to be honest, id rather them sit too low and have to hike it up than not satisfy my need for moar low.

Once they were in, they didnt seem to be much lower than just race springs on stock struts...Now, i may not be a mechanic but as far as science and physics are concerned im quite confident. So I played with them to see if i was missing something as far as adjustment but they are literally as far as they go in the front, and with the rears i removed the 2 adjusters (just to see where it would sit after) and its sitting okay.

After a bit of frustration on a lot of hours in a cold Calgary garage, i removed them and completely disassembled them just to understand them a bit more. Currently, i have the spring snugged up to the top of the strut as it should be, not much of a pre-load but just enough to remove any play, then i have the strut housing screwed ALL THE WAY onto the strut itself, creating the ride height. The strut with the threads itself bottoms out into the housing eventually, so both are even (measured to make sure parts and threads all matched) and still, disappointing.

I looked online and found people saying they cut an inch or 2 off the bottom of the threaded strut, which would allow it to screw into the housing more, and drop it the exact amount you cut off basically. I just bought these things, still under warranty, dont really want to take a saw to them just yet.

I have also seen my exact car running these coils and the thing is looooooow, i wonder if people are actually just cutting everything?

Since they are coilovers, the springs themselves have nothing to do with ride height so theres no settling needed, no "break in period", the height you create of the entire coilover by screwing the strut into the housing is where the ride height is adjusted.

I dont really know why im posting this, looking for some insight maybe. Its a bummer, i paid for these, waited for them to arrive, waited to install them, then installed them in the cold which took a while with adjustments and no air compressor at home

Has anyone used them? Anyone installed them? Anyone cut them? Anyone have a better idea?

The only reason im upset is because i was under the impression they'd be a good investment for height and ride quality, i was told 1.5-5" drop, literally cannot ride as low as they go. But i am currently as low as they go and its nothing special at all.

Thanks!

PS - Dont suggest bags right now...because im already tempted and you would just be pushing me to spend a few grand on them that i dont have haha
    Last edited by Jim; 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM.
    I take pictures for money.

Re: Just Installed Coilovers...

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Now, i may not be a mechanic but as far as science and psychics are concerned im quite confident.
    Psychics or Physics?

Comment

1 - Yes there is a break in period for coilovers
      2 - Get bags

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        Psychics or Physics?
        I will blame this on autocorrect, and i will stand by it -__-

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
        1 - Yes there is a break in period for coilovers
        2 - Get bags
        What could break in? The spring has nothing to do with the height on these at all. I am not trying to sound like a doucher i am genuinely curious. I dont see how something could settle anymore on a static set up. Also, the guy on the phone from Ksport confirmed the spring has nothing to do with height and "when its off the stands and rolling out of the garage, thats the height it is, and thats the height it will stay until its adjusted again"

He could have been off his rocker though too.

Comment

I'm no scientist or physicist, but I believe the spring still settles a little bit. Everyone I know with coilovers (including myself) noticed a small break in after a few days of driving it and the car settled lower than the first time it was off the jack. However I dont think the settling would be THAT noticable to make you go from unsatisfied to satisfied, therefore I believe your problem may lie elsewhere.
          Patryk
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

When i was on coilovers (FK's) it went a tad lower after a few drives to settle in. I know you can take the bumpstops off as well and that might help a tad. or take the perche soff but i think i read that you already tried that.

Comment

if i brought up the locking collars to compress the springs another 2 inches, it doesnt change how the car sits, thats why i believe they wont settle. I think the only thing that will make any changes is anything resting on a stop or rubber may sit a little tighter on them eventually once the weight of the car takes its toll. The fronts have been installed for over a week, car was driven only about 50km on them, then the rears added this weekend (long busy week)

I am sending photos of parts and numbers to ksport to make sure i actually got the ones i wanted, i feel like the strut is from another model of coilover, its just simply too long.

I JUST WANT A LOW CAR IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!

Comment

springs do not really settle do you have pics of how you have it set up? the base should be spun all the way up and the coil spring adjuster spun all the way down for the max low.
                Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

my fk coils settled like a full inch.

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
                    springs do not really settle do you have pics of how you have it set up? the base should be spun all the way up and the coil spring adjuster spun all the way down for the max low.
                    On the contrary. It needs to settle as the system is getting used to its new surroundings. That's as elementary as it'll sound. It should only have +/- 0.25in. difference.

I'm no psychicist at all nor a springologist.
                    Last edited by flipstah; 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM.
                    Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

I'll post this just in case it was overlooked:

Source
                      http://ksportusa.com/support-coilover-systems/

6. How Do I Adjust My Ride Height?
                      Never adjust ride height using the spring perch. Our systems are designed to adjust ride height via the lower mount. Make sure the spring perch (B) and locking collar (C) are locked by using the spanner wrenches and turning them in opposite directions so they lock against each other. Next, loosen the lower locking collar (D) and spin it up the amount you want to lower the car (for example, if you want to lower your car 2″ then spin the collar up 2″). Now use the spanner wrench on the spring perch (B) and begin turning the perch clockwise. This will thread the entire shock assembly further down into the lower mount (E). Once you adjustments are completed, tighten the lower locking collar (D) in place against the lower mount. If you need to raise your car, follow the same steps except turn the shock assembly counterclockwise. See diagram below.

For vehicles without and adjustable lower mount, use the spring perch to adjust ride height. By lowering the locking collar (C ) and spring perch (B) the suspension is allowed to compress. This will result in a lower ride height. After your adjustments are made, tighten the spring perch and locking collar together using the spanner wrenches. Most vehicles without and adjustable lower mount will make use of Helper Springs. See diagram below.

For vehicles with a separate spring and shock, part (A) is used to adjust ride height. After desired ride height is reached with the spring, it is extremely important to adjust the length of the shock by adjusting (B) to your desired position. The last step is to install the wheels and put the car on the ground and move the vehicle 20-30 feet to allow the suspension to settle. Then adjust (B) to let (C) compress 1/3 of the way into the strut and leave 2/3 of the shock shaft outside the strut; then tighten the locking collar against the lower mount. Use of a zip tie or black marker may be useful in judging how to make sure 1/3 of the shock is in the strut. Failure to set the shock stroke correctly will result in damage to the shock and void the warranty. For safety reasons, at least 30mm of the lower mount should be threaded onto the shock. See diagram below.

MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Comment

a quality spring should not settle, a properly engineered and manufactured spring will compress based on vehicle weight and road force. That is why if a manufacture tells you the spring lowers 1.3" they know this because of the weight of the car and the corresponding spring length and spring rating. If all the final torque on the front uppers and rear lowers is done under suspension preload you should not notice and change in ride height unless another factor such as vehicle weight is changed such as a full tank of gas to an empty tank of gas
                        Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Agree with the people who are saying it should not settle much.

If you take it for a drive over one or two bumps and aren't happy, send them back if that is an option while they are still pretty new and maybe ou can get an exchange. Or sell on vortex/ebay. Otherwise, I dunno what to tell you. Not a brand name I really recognize... important to do lots of research before buying. IF you can find someone who has these and has a better ride height, send them a PM or email or something.

Post pics of how low it is...?
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

When you buy suspension you always look at specifications and like Kor said tons of research, not looks(not to sound like a dick). Everyone has a different set up, or it can be an optical elution in photos, looks lower in the picture then in real life, almost bought a set because of what it looked like on someones car, then in research found out they didnt do what I wanted. They may settle but they would have by now. Shitty deal man, definitely don't cut them or you'll just mess things up more in the end.
                            Its a nice car and its still winter, sucks to wait but worth it in the end! Let me know if you need help with any thing.

Comment

Also you can only go as low as your front sway bar with let your axles go up. Could take the sway bar out like some guys, but i wouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X