Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coilovers for summer?

KW V3's

1 - The BMW has about another 1/4" of adjustment and perches in still. The .:R has about 1/2" left with helper springs in the front and 1/4" in the rear with perches in still.
    2 - about 2200- 2500
    3 - Depending on dampening adjustment it can be either harsher or softer than stock. I had mine set about mid bump and rebound on both cars and they ride fantastic, a bit more stiff than stock.
    4 - A bit better handling than stock, suspension dynamics are kind of ruined at this point but they certainly stiffen up nicely in corners.
    5 - Very durable and low maintenance.
    6 - A bit more $$ but they are fantastic coils and have a very wide range of adjustment to fine tune them so that they'll be comfortable even at extremely low heights

Last edited by funkin; 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM.
    TJ
    '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
    '01 Silver S4

Comment

i dont want to start a whole, bags vs coils war here, but would it be okay if some people posted up thier bag set ups as well? ide be interested in learning a bit. i know this says coils, but i know some people are interested in how bags ride and such.
      Last edited by Danaldson; 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I have ksports on my tdi.
        1 - How low?- i can go lower in the front,o the rear is maxed out.
        2 - The price?- I'm not exactly sure.
        3 - Softer/Harsher ride than stock?- They have adjustable dampening and i have them on stiff because the car is low
        4 - Better handling than stock? Much better these handle great!! The car just sticks to the road, no real body sway.
        5 - Are they durable? I would say so do the maintenance when winter and summer wheels get swapped over.
        6 - Some other details? Coilovers are never gonna ride as smooth as a good cup kit. A good cup kit will never get as low as coil overs. I have had 3 different mk4's and 4 different suspensions. I have had fk ak(first lowering suspension i had) They didn't ride nice and they only lasted 2.5yrs before the fronts blew out. I had a rpi/h&r cup kit and it handled fantastic but wasn't nearly as low it was a 1.5-.75" drop so not really low, it handes so smooth and handled corners very well.

With k sports.

With fk ak-- (i have no photos of with the the cup kit)

My mk1 has vmaxx it rides ok in that light little car. The car is a go cart so it's not horrible, but i would never buy another cheap suspension again. It's a little bouncy, this year im gonna pull my helper springs on the front so i can get my front lower as the adjuster hits the inside of the wheel lip and a spacer will poke to much. I have heard the helper springs have actually made no real difference on the vmaxx so i guess i will see once the little bastards back on the road. But when it comes to suspension you get what you pay for and thats just it depends what your budget is.
        Last edited by Kane; 03-16-2013, 10:42 AM.
        2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
        2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
        1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
          i dont want to start a whole, bags vs coils war here, but would it be okay if some people posted up thier bag set ups as well? ide be interested in learning a bit. i know this says coils, but i know some people are interested in how bags ride and such.
          It's a good idea but I think maybe it should be in it's own thread. As a resource for people looking at coilovers it'll get messy if there are bags in here as well.

Comment

that is true. Fair enough, if the bag people wanna make a thread... by all means

Comment

+1 for KW... I have the v2's and the ride just like stock but super low.
              You get what you pay for. Cheap ones ride like ****, and more expensive ones will ride 1000000000000x better

I had stance coilovers on my Subaru STi and it rode like complete garbage. They ruined the car IMO
              Bouncy and felt every crack on the road.
              My KW's have ZERO bounce, and its tucking tire.
              Last edited by T-Dubbs; 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM.
              ~~TODD~~
              '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

ST's by KW (KW V1's with steel bodies instead of aluminum)

1 - Go low enough for me...all the way down and I smack subframe all day. Raised one thread I can drive it how I like. Rear adjusters removed.
                2 - 799$ at C1, I was the first to get them there..and in typical C1 fashion they put them on the website for 850. They are 799 anywhere else.
                3 - Hard stiff ride, not bouncy. Since I'm pretty much as low as they go it is a bit harsh.
                4 - I actually drive slower with it lowered so I couldn't tell you.
                5 - So far so good...I put lots of thread lube on and the adjusters still spin. I don't drive the car in the winter....
                6 - I love the coils for the price!

Last edited by jaysleeves; 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM.
                Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

KW V2

1-Fronts are maxed rears have a good 2-3 inches of thread + perches.
                  2-Don't remember the exact price. Slightly under $2000 though.
                  3-Harsher than stock but really nice for a daily driver.
                  4-A lot better than stock handling.
                  5-Fairly durable. Used year round and holding up decently. Rear shocks have blown before though.
                  6-Quality is nice. But it better be for the price. I feel that it is worth its price.

Raceland ultimo

1-Extremely low. Fronts have 2-3 inches of thread. Rears have about the same with both perches in.
                  2-Bought used. I think new are around the $400 mark.
                  3-Pretty rough. Had them raised up the first day because they didn't clear my wheels and it felt find. Lowered them down and it got pretty harsh. Fairly bouncy.
                  4-Feels slightly better. Can't corner too hard at the current height though, constantly rub sway bar with the slightest turn.
                  5-Bought them off my friend and 2 of the corners were blown. He had them for about 2 years.
                  6-Cheap, low, perfect for what i wanted.

Edit-People really need to learn how to use the word dampening. You adjust your damping not dampening.
                  Last edited by Errol.; 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM.
                  http://www.flickr.com/erroltan

Comment

Koni R32 coilovers (front) Bilstein+ FK springs on rear.

1- Sitting all the way up both front and back
                    2- I got them second hand but the new price is about $1500
                    3- Harsher than stock but not by much.
                    4- Handling is firm.
                    5- Can't comment on durability since I've just put them on.
                    6- They look snazzy, chrome and red, will find out shortly if they last.

Got a feeling these are too low for me, even spun all the way up I rub when going over large bumps. I can only fit 2 fingers in the gap between the wheel and fender.
                    Last edited by witchcraftz; 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

For those of you with mk6 golfs/gtis how easy or hard is it to adjust the coil overs? I really want to get coil overs for my gti but I'm the farthest thing from a mechanic and don't want to have to take it to someone to get it adjusted for winters. I have been looking to go with kw's

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                      X