Kamei Grille - restored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamei Grille - restored

A while ago I bought a Kamei Grille from Jetta. I got it really cheap for $35 shipped. However when you pay this kind of price you know it's going to be in rough shape.

The plastic top piece was cracked in half, the metal mesh was rusty and had a paint chips all over, even the Kamei symbol was pocked with holes.

First thing I did was wash off all the remaining dirt. Then sanded all the chips and rusty spots down to the metal. I also used plastic epoxy to seal the crack, I sanded the biggest chunks down a bit with 100 grit. Then I used some body filler (bondo) to even the surfaces out and sanded with 100 grit then 300 grit, then sprayed some primer, and sanded again with 300 grit. (sorry no picture of this stage)

I took off the screws off and put them in 50% water 50% white vinegar over night to remove the rust.

Then I masked off the plastic piece and painted it with black plastic paint. I let that dry, masked the metal off and painted 3 coats of black paint for metal.

I also cut out some new gromets from a piece of rubber I had. The old ones were old cracking.

Looks like new!

I am still working on finishing the Kamei badge, it's difficult painting something with grooves.
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 03-18-2013, 07:08 PM.

Re: Kamei Grille - restored

Good job, thats going to look great...especially if you have a Unitronics stage 1+ tuned ECU powering that car! haha
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Nice work!!!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Can someone explain to me who/what Kamei is so that I can fully appreciate the magnitude of your hard work? Right now, it looks good but you could've just bought a new one...
        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
          Can someone explain to me who/what Kamei is so that I can fully appreciate the magnitude of your hard work? Right now, it looks good but you could've just bought a new one...
          Probably because he didn't want to pay what im guessing would be like $125 plus shipping for a brand new one when he had the chance to buy this one for 35 bucks shipped and had fun with the DIY. Why cant you appreciate his hard work without knowing what kamei is?

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
            Probably because he didn't want to pay what im guessing would be like $125 plus shipping for a brand new one when he had the chance to buy this one for 35 bucks shipped and had fun with the DIY. Why cant you appreciate his hard work without knowing what kamei is?
            Because I didn't know how much it was new. I thought it was cheap.

Since you're saving >70% off by DIY route, I respect that even more.
            Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Kamei is a tuning company that has made aftermarket parts for VW for a long time. I'm not sure how easy it is to find one of these grilles anymore.

Comment

The Kamei grille is going to match with the similar mesh in the Votex front bumper I have.

And I really do like doing projects, I like grabbing things out of the "damaged/toss out bin" from people and making them nice again.

Comment

Working...
                X