Brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads

I'm replacing my rear brake pads tonight with a extra set i have and will be doing my full set when i put my car into summer mode soon and was wondering if you guys had a preference/ good experience with any particular brand? I'm replacing the rears tonight because there completely worn down
    Last edited by Thor; 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM.
    -Terry
    -2014 S4
    insta:Whiney_S4

Re: Brake pads

Not an expert by any means. But when I replaced my rears on the GLI with textars they squealed and made noise. Shortly after I picked up some ceramic akebono's. Make a little noise when they are cold, but after that are great.
    Dylan

Comment

I just put the same ceramic akebono's on the R last week, pretty happy with them.

Side note, I was sold two wear sensors so I have a spare if anyone needs one.
      Last edited by RobG; 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM.

Comment

zimmermann
        Dubwerkz -
        E36 325i - Sold.
        E36 328is - Sold.
        TR MKIV GTI 1.8T - Daily.
        www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

I was just wondering why you were asking for advice when only limited products are usually available in the city on such short notice?

Also looking for answers because mine are coming up sometime this summer i believe

Comment

I'm running Zimmerman rotors and PBR XBG pads. No complaints.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Just remember, the braking is coming from the friction of one element rubbing against another, this causes little bits to com off.

If your rotors are harder than your pads, the pads will wear down, if your pads are harder than your rotors, your rotors will wear down!

I'd say get EBC Green Stuff pads.

Comment

I know it sometimes happens, but how often do people get away with only replacing pads and not the rotors?

Comment

Yeah i heard that R32 rotors are ridiculously expensive compared to other models. You can always re-surface your rotors but i have never just changed pads

Comment

The factory R32 rotors are a 2-piece, aluminum hub/steel disc with directional fins. The spec only allows for 1mm of wear per side, 32mm new, 30mm finished, the pads out lasted the rotors, but only because it was inspected.
                    Last edited by RobG; 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

eBay ceramic pads from Canadian seller, Akebono Ceramic, Hawk ceramic. Hawk has the best performance, eBay pad has the least dust but squeaks when it's -10*c outside, Akebono is average.
                      Recommending Ecstuning GEOMET rotors, they look beautiful!
                      Last edited by kujiwara; 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM.
                      Current Fleet
                      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                      2001 Cobra #88/3786
                      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

What's the difference between the GEOMET rotors vs the Zimmerman coated rotors or Textar, sounds like same deal, just more marketing.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys , I think I'm gonna go with akembo, and mechengg I was just wantin to know what brakes everyone liked and how said pads treated them just don't wanna buy some bad ones
                          -Terry
                          -2014 S4

Comment

Back back back in the day I bought some garbage pads, the rotors turned blue from trying to stop, good to get peoples thoughts and not buy/install brakes twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                              Back back back in the day I bought some garbage pads, the rotors turned blue from trying to stop, good to get peoples thoughts and not buy/install brakes twice.
                              Yep , since I'm still kinda new to buying car parts I didn't want the blue brake or something to happen like that
                              -Terry
                              -2014 S4

Comment

Working...
                              X