Koni vs KW V1 vs HPA SHS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koni vs KW V1 vs HPA SHS

I'm looking to lower my car this spring and I'm undecided on what Coils to get. What are your guy's thoughts on these 3 coils?
    Basically, I want to lower my car to about 24.5" FTG while still retaining somewhat stock of a ride. For sure not looking into too performance orientated coils because I don't do any tracking. My car is a DD so no need for extreme performance qualities. So this is how much I know:

I know that Koni's are made of stainless steel so they'll be durable during our winters. Have a decent drop to them and have damping adjustment. From what I've heard, these coils ride like butter when they're on a softer setting. If I were to order them, i'd be looking at $1k for the coils and shipping.

KW v1s are sold locally here as well through Concept1 and Tunerworks. They're made of inox-line stainless steel which is perfect for our winters. I've read that they don't allow too much drop but I don't really know much about them. There's no damping adjustment so I'm stuck with whatever settings they have. Around $1.4k.

HPA SHS's are the same thing as KW V1s but tuned more specifically towards Audi and VW. Also do not know much about the differences between the KW V1s and this. Looking at about $1.3k according to their website. I've been recommended to look at these by a few people but I nee some more knowledge about them.

If anyone can share what they think about these 3 coils that'd be great. I'm new to modding cars and have no idea what I'm looking for, let alone how everything works, even though I'm in Mechanical haha.

Thanks!
    2011 CW MK6 GTI

APR Stage 1 / Koni Coilovers / 18x8.5 Miro 111 ET45 / R Tails / LEDs (Interior, Side Markers, Parking Lights, License Plate) / Euroswitch

Re: Koni vs KW V1 vs HPA SHS

I bought a H&R Cupkit for my MKVI and I wish I had gone HPA SHS
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

My H&R Street Performance coils are decent. They make a bit of a knocking sound on bumps and they go stupid low. They're a bit bouncy though. In the future I'd probably go for adjustable dampening, but they don't bother me enough to justify switching.
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm gunning for the H&R coilovers but they're $2k. I like having the dampening adjustment so I can determine the ride quality but it's just so damn pricey!
        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Over on the Mkv R32 forums on Vortex there was a bunch of issues with the HPA SHS and HPA's customer service on the issues was basically worthless.

I can't recall the exact issues but do a quick search and you'll find the threads, I think a couple were censored/deleted though. There is a reason why you don't see them advertising them on the forums.
          MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            I bought a H&R Cupkit for my MKVI and I wish I had gone HPA SHS
            For what reasons if you don't mind me asking?

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
            My H&R Street Performance coils are decent. They make a bit of a knocking sound on bumps and they go stupid low. They're a bit bouncy though. In the future I'd probably go for adjustable dampening, but they don't bother me enough to justify switching.
            Yea I've heard good things about these coils too. Too many options man haha.

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
            I'm in the same boat as you and I'm gunning for the H&R coilovers but they're $2k. I like having the dampening adjustment so I can determine the ride quality but it's just so damn pricey!
            $2k is just too much! Koni's also have damping adjustment, and they give a pretty good drop so I read. WRDUSA sells them for half the price of H&R coils. If I do decide to get Koni's I'll get them there, $82 for shipping.

Originally posted by Kg810 View Post
            Over on the Mkv R32 forums on Vortex there was a bunch of issues with the HPA SHS and HPA's customer service on the issues was basically worthless.

I can't recall the exact issues but do a quick search and you'll find the threads, I think a couple were censored/deleted though. There is a reason why you don't see them advertising them on the forums.
            No way! I'll have to look into that. From what I've heard, Clay from HPA SHS has really good service. But thats just from reading.
            2011 CW MK6 GTI

APR Stage 1 / Koni Coilovers / 18x8.5 Miro 111 ET45 / R Tails / LEDs (Interior, Side Markers, Parking Lights, License Plate) / Euroswitch

Comment

I cant comment for MKVI, but on my MKIV .:R32 I have Koni adjustables and they ride great. Had them on for almost 2 years not without a single problem and I couldnt be happier. My guess is that they would be of similar quality for a MKVI
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                I cant comment for MKVI, but on my MKIV .:R32 I have Koni adjustables and they ride great. Had them on for almost 2 years not without a single problem and I couldnt be happier. My guess is that they would be of similar quality for a MKVI
                No problems with them in our winter as well?
                2011 CW MK6 GTI

Comment

None as long as you maintain them properly. I clean and re-apply anti size each spring and fall when i raise or lower them. Never even came close to seizing on me. Collars move very smoothly
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I have kw v1's on 2 of my mk4's and the ride is just as good as the cupkit on my moms car. Being able to adjust the dampening would be nice though. They won't put you as low as others will but that's not a big deal to me
                    2002 Jetta TDI
                    2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                    1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                      None as long as you maintain them properly. I clean and re-apply anti size each spring and fall when i raise or lower them. Never even came close to seizing on me. Collars move very smoothly
                      How was installation for this? Anything special I need to get? I'm most likely planning to get concept1 to do this because I have no idea what I'm doing haha. Tunerworks was recommending me to get V1s over Koni's but they never really explained to me why.

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                      I have kw v1's on 2 of my mk4's and the ride is just as good as the cupkit on my moms car. Being able to adjust the dampening would be nice though. They won't put you as low as others will but that's not a big deal to me
                      They as in the KWs?
                      2011 CW MK6 GTI

Comment

You probably don't need to have a shop install them, I'm sure you could gather enough members that would be willing to lend you a hand.

Also on my mkiv I am running FK Silverline X+'s and they are great, I know its not really related to what you are asking, but figured it would give some insight.
                        Last edited by BolideVW; 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM.
                        Dylan

Comment

Kw
                          Last edited by PRY4SNO; 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM. Reason: wtf wont capitalize both?
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by JustinKYC View Post

$2k is just too much! Koni's also have damping adjustment, and they give a pretty good drop so I read. WRDUSA sells them for half the price of H&R coils. If I do decide to get Koni's I'll get them there, $82 for shipping.
                            Ugh don't remind me. However, Vortex mentioned that in mine, Volkswagen Racing sport springs would work fine with the stock R shocks (Euro spec cars can handle a little more low). I even asked about the ride because usually, shorter springs + stock suspension = horse-like ride but Vortex members attest that it's OEM-feel.

Not sure if GTI's work the same way but it COULD be a path to venture.
                            Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BolideVW View Post
                              You probably don't need to have a shop install them, I'm sure you could gather enough members that would be willing to lend you a hand.

Also on my mkiv I am running FK Silverline X+'s and they are great, I know its not really related to what you are asking, but figured it would give some insight.
                              Haha I don't know anyone really. Really new here. Going to come to a bit more of the meets before I start asking people for favors like that.

How low are you running on them? I probably want to stick to these three. I don't really want to widen my search again after i narrowed it to these three haha.

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                              Kw
                              Reason please?

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
                              Ugh don't remind me. However, Vortex mentioned that in mine, Volkswagen Racing sport springs would work fine with the stock R shocks (Euro spec cars can handle a little more low). I even asked about the ride because usually, shorter springs + stock suspension = horse-like ride but Vortex members attest that it's OEM-feel.

Not sure if GTI's work the same way but it COULD be a path to venture.
                              Yea that's what I've read on the golf R. I'd like to get to around 24.5" FTG and I don't think springs will do. But thanks for the suggestion. Have you decided on a set-up yet? haha
                              2011 CW MK6 GTI

Comment

Working...
                              X