Mkiv gli boost leak at MAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mkiv gli boost leak at MAP

So I tested out the lines the other day and found that the leak is coming from te intercollegiate MAP sensor spot. Anyone else dealt with this? I Installed a new one but still leakin. Read some stuff about getting a piece welded on, but shouldn't it be sealed oem?
    ah, dert...

Re: Mkiv gli boost leak at MAP

Haha that was typed on an iPhone.... I know that autocorrect. Is the o-ring there? Stock inter cooler?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Wow... Intercollegiate...
      Yah IPhone haha hilarious. It's a forge smic, there's the o ring on the sensor part that ends up inside the intercooler. Can I nab one at CAW? When I pulled the old one out, it didn't even have one. Just a cracked ass sensor. Kind of a pissoff cuz it was bumper off washer fluid reservoir out, light out, etc... But I'd rather have the **** back working properly.
      ah, dert...

Comment

You're positive its at the map? It should be sealed but i remember back when I bought my eurojet intercooler, it was a nightmare because the provisions for the map on the intercooler were too big for one and too small for the other.
        Before you go welding things, take some measurments of the I.D of the map sensor bung, and the map sensor itself. They should be similar to within a couple mm, and the space taken up by the o-ring. If its a sizeable boost leak from there, I would say you got the wrong map when you replaced it. There's two styles for the 1.8t, The later style (2003.5+) looks like this (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ical/ES251633/) , and is quite a bit smaller than its predecessor (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...trical/ES12011)

Comment

You're positive its at the map? It should be sealed but i remember back when I bought my eurojet intercooler, it was a nightmare because the provisions for the map on the intercooler were too big for one and too small for the other.
          Before you go welding things, take some measurments of the I.D of the map sensor bung, and the map sensor itself. They should be similar to within a couple mm, and the space taken up by the o-ring. If its a sizeable boost leak from there, I would say you got the wrong map when you replaced it. There's two styles for the 1.8t, The later style (2003.5+) looks like this (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ical/ES251633/) , and is quite a bit smaller than its predecessor (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...trical/ES12011)

Comment

Ya it's definitely at the map, the one I pulled out was the same as what I put in, the second one. But the first one looks more like the size of the bung. Probably has had the wrong map in it since I bought it. Looks like more work for me tonight
            ah, dert...

Comment

Originally posted by xJarodx View Post
              Ya it's definitely at the map, the one I pulled out was the same as what I put in, the second one. But the first one looks more like the size of the bung. Probably has had the wrong map in it since I bought it. Looks like more work for me tonight
              this is where digital calipers are a life saver

Comment

so, apparently that smic originally comes with an adapter that changes the bung from whatever size it is machined to a oem map size. but the doy that installed it before i bought it didn't put that piece on... or didn't get the piece, or whatever.
                so. i'm not fully interested in disassembling the front of my car again to just measure the opening (even though i should've measured it when i had it off the first time and this should be a lesson to me ) but i may have to if i don't find what size the original opening is.
                i'm just worried to buy the 18mm sensor only to have it not fit either. or not have the necessary gasket.
                Last edited by xJarodx; 04-05-2013, 05:40 PM. Reason: emoticon text
                ah, dert...

Comment

I have 2 spare LARGE port adapters if you have a large Map sensor? I used the small adapter on my car

Comment

Like this:

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                      I have 2 spare LARGE port adapters if you have a large Map sensor? I used the small adapter on my car
                      man that's super nice of you, and i appreciate the offer. i've got the small sensor though.
                      i would consider just buying the bigger one and getting the large port adapters from you if i had the extra time to take my car in to get the piece welded on, where did you get yours welded? did it take long? was it expensive?
                      ah, dert...

Comment

I bought it and it came with the large bung welded as such, with 2 inserts, 1 for the large map and 1 for the small map. I'm not sure what Forge uses, this is from a powrhaus SMIC

Comment

Uploaded with Imgupr
                          Looks like this.
                          ah, dert...

Comment

Working...
                          X