2.0 tsi URGENT UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 tsi URGENT UPDATE

So we have found a flaw in the 2.0tsi engines found in almost all vag vehicles made after 2008.5 . the timing chain tensioner found inside that keeps tension to the cams . is failing leading to a contact between the valves and the pistons . VW has a fix for it but of course will not replace it under warrenty unless it fails . so if you complain about the car rattling really bad every time you start it up and mention a knowen problem with he chain tensioners .
    Service Bulletin Number : TB-15-12-01 Date of Bulletin : JUL 23, 2012
    if you are out of warrenty get this done . its only like $450 and will save your engine ...
    we have our first victim in the shop now and will be getting ahold of all my 2.0 tsi customers to get this done
    sigpic

Re: 2.0 tsi URGENT UPDATE

this is a comparison of the old ratchet style that fails and the new type that will not give us any issue .
    http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...Tensioner1.jpg
    sigpic

Comment

What kind of rattle is it? Something that you hear coming from the engine or something that you'd feel while sitting in the car for a few seconds after starting it? If it's the latter, I guess I'll have to get the CC checked out when it goes in for an oil change in the next couple weeks.
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

start up
        after that oil pressure tightens the tensioner. but it dosent have to rattle to go bad
        sigpic

Comment

No luck if under warranty though huh?
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

So we have to wait until this fails to get it fixed under warranty? Won't the contact between the valves and pistons cause more damage than the $450 it costs to replace the tensioner? I have 2 TSIs in the family.
            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

yep but thats how warrenty works ... i am going to to a special for us eurodrivers . and shave the job down to 300 for paid members
              sigpic

Comment

i have two in my garage as well and 4 more amongst my family and friends
                sigpic

Comment

we are going to pull my cover off and see if my new car produced in aug of 12 has the updated unit .
                  sigpic

Comment

Turbomeyers, does my new (to me) Jetta GLI have the timing belt or timing chain? I am under the impression that pre-2009 it had a belt and 2009+ had the chain. Is there an easy way to check? I don't have a VAGCOM.
                    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by darkmanCANADA View Post
                      Turbomeyers, does my new (to me) Jetta GLI have the timing belt or timing chain? I am under the impression that pre-2009 it had a belt and 2009+ had the chain. Is there an easy way to check? I don't have a VAGCOM.
                      All 2.0 TSI's use the chain, where as the 2.0 FSI used the belt. You have the TSI.
                      Last edited by CGY_GTI; 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM.
                      Scott
                      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

the ttrs makes a rattling sound associated with the chain tensioner, i wonder if its the same problem?? there was a software update the fixed it for some. something about increasing the oil pressure and the sound goes away, but audi says no damage is being done... who knows

2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Welp, now I'm worried as hell about my TSI.. Anything to do under warranty?
                          Justin
                          MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

Bart i will look into the 2.5 . but i just urge anyone with the tsi to get this done .... i will be doing this for club members cheap . just dont want anyone to have a tsi go bad .
                            sigpic

Comment

we have done more of these and we are seeing that the tensioner is allowing access play at start up and this causes the keeper on the tensioner to fail.
                              here is a video of the bad start ups. If you have a rattle at start up please get this done
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X