Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW glass vs ordinary replacement glass retailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW glass vs ordinary replacement glass retailer?

took a huge rock chip a few weeks back in the R and this morning had the glass spider almost all the way across (damn you cold outside/hot inside haha)
    Anyways, called the local dealer and they said new glass "blue tinted" for the R is about $327 and also called a few local replacement glass places near my work and had quotes around $200.

Will there be any difference between the VW glass and the replacement glass?
    sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
    His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
    Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
    Past:
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
    2004 .:R32 BMP
    2001.5 Noggy blue s4
    2000 VW GTI 1.8T
    1997 VW Jetta VR6

Re: VW glass vs ordinary replacement glass retailer?

could be different for front and rear glass, but i took it to a place my friend reccomended and they did a **** job....... the rear defroster does'nt work and it doesnt fit perfectly....ide say go to the dealer.

Comment

Remember you get what you pay for.

**** jobs cut corners by doing it fast. Aka they scratch up taking the windows out and don't cover it causing that window rust out from underneath.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I think at one point years ago a bunch of us went to payless auto glass and they carried OEM glass and did an OK job. Just in case you're looking for another quote.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I've heard good things about them http://www.dynasty-autoglass.com/ , quote for a mk4 windshield with installation is $200, sending my car to them next month.
          Last edited by kujiwara; 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM.
          Current Fleet
          #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
          2001 Cobra #88/3786
          1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
          2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
          2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Nice to come across this thread. My windshield is cracked to sh!t, seriously a hazard. I just figured it would cost around 500 not 200-300.
            Dylan

Comment

I need a new rear window. I talked to 5th ave for a quote and was told, they use Glassmasters for replacements. It's marked up a bit vs. a Glassmasters location. I prefer to pay a little extra and let the dealer do it, if something goes wrong it's on them. Specify you want it replaced with OEM glass, from what I've noticed they withstand the rocks a little better than the cheaper glass.
              Last edited by Hardy_Boy; 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                Remember you get what you pay for.
                ^ This. I would agree that the OEM dealership glass is far better than the "other stuff".

With that said... having owned 2 MK4 VW Golf's... I can also say that the Golf platform (or at least the MK4) front windshield eats rocks like nobody's business. IMO, the more vertical windscreen combined with not being that far off the ground (worse for all of us that are lowered) means you are going to experience more than your fair share of rock chips.

Moral of the story: Get rock chips repaired ASAP regardless of glass you go with or else you'll be buying a new windshield every year. That... and get used to living with a less than perfect front windshield. At least... that's what I ended up doing.
                Rob
                Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy View Post
                  I need a new rear window. I talked to 5th ave for a quote and was told, they use Glassmasters for replacements. It's marked up a bit vs. a Glassmasters location. I prefer to pay a little extra and let the dealer do it, if something goes wrong it's on them. Specify you want it replaced with OEM glass, from what I've noticed they withstand the rocks a little better than the cheaper glass.
                  i was recoomended to glassmasters on center st. and they did a pretty bad job :/

Comment

In same cases, aftermarket windshields curve a little more in some areas compared to OEM windshields, meaning that OEM wiper blades will not make full contact in certain areas of the glass. In most cases you can get aftermarket wipers from Walmart or Canadian tire etc which will curve more as well which solves the problem, but in my case (c350) I can only buy wipers from Mercedes...... It's a tuff call since an aftermarket windshield is almost half of an OEM one, but something to think about.
                    Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
                      i was recoomended to glassmasters on center st. and they did a pretty bad job :/
                      I've heard mixed reviews, this is why I haven't had it done yet.

Comment

We have replaced the front windshield on my golf and the R at Cal-Alta Auto glass on Horton road in the sw and they did a great job. Would definitely recommend them if you dont go through a dealership. We have never had any issues with it and its been about a year now.
                        ~Tracy~
                        MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
                        Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

^^^ Beat me to it.

I used the groupon coups for Cal Alta auto glass on 3 cars already and I think they did a good job. I'm not window expert so I cant say they did a great job, but I have no complaints
                          Last edited by P Arkus; 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM.
                          Patryk
                          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                          08 VW .:R32
                          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I did the Cal-Alta thing a little over a year ago also and have no complaints at all.
                            --
                            Rod
                            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I've dealt with Kings Glass a couple times, Moores auto glass and Stampede Collision.

Out of the 3, the fact that Stampede is doing it themselves (not bringing someone in) at the body shop, they have the means to properly repair anything, being existing scratches or new, before putting the new windshield in. Did a really good job on the GLI and they can get a few different types of glass (aftermarket or OEM).

Moores, was quick, cheap and I didnt worry about it cause I wasnt keeping the car.

Kings glass, fast, no scratches, no ability to repair any rust that may be under old windshield.
                              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X