Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose bump stops OK?

Hi all,

I'm doing my first mod installing lowering springs on my MKV GTI. I notice that the shafts on the front struts are slightly thinner than oem causing the bump stops to slide loose all the way down. Is this ok?

Koni FSD + Eibach Pro kit
    Last edited by Luvzvag; 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM.

Re: Loose bump stops OK?

I don't even run bump stops in my GLI......

Comment

As long as they stop the bump they are okay.
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
        I don't even run bump stops in my GLI......
        I'm curious why u chose to not use bump stops. Doesn't that put u at risk of bottoming out and blowing the strut/shock/coil? What's the benefit?

Comment

My bump stops wouldn't fit any more after we installed my coils and I didn't feel like modifying them to make them fit, so I don't have them in my car.
          Scott
          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by Luvzvag View Post
            I'm curious why u chose to not use bump stops. Doesn't that put u at risk of bottoming out and blowing the strut/shock/coil? What's the benefit?
            I'm on air, when i air out the bumpstops actually prevent my shocks from fully compressing and the frame ends up resting directly on the top of the coil via the bumpstop. When you are riding low too it makes you bounce off the bumpstop all the time and has a very very springy ride.
            On OEM suspension i would keep them, on aftermarket springs i would keep them, on coils or air i would ditch them

Comment

Ok thanks all. I already have them installed and unmodified. I'll see how the ride is for now and can always go back in to chop down or remove if necessary. I don't anticipate any issues though since I'm only doing a moderate 1-1.5" drop so fingers crossed...

Comment

mine are chopped in half right now, sitting quite low and it feels kinds bouncy. maybe ill just remove mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvzvag View Post
                  Ok thanks all. I already have them installed and unmodified. I'll see how the ride is for now and can always go back in to chop down or remove if necessary. I don't anticipate any issues though since I'm only doing a moderate 1-1.5" drop so fingers crossed...
                  Yeah i would say that you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X