Strut Install Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut Install Problem

So I guess I won't be finishing my suspension install after all. While doing the front left (final corner) I managed to break off the Allen bit in the strut end. Pretty much sheared off flush so there's no way to grab it with vise grips.

Here is what I've tried so far:

1) took vise grips to the shaft, but can't get it tight enough to stop spinning.
    2) took impact wrenches (330 ft lbs & 420 ft lbs) to the nut but shaft still spins (with vise grip on)

Not sure what my options are at this point, any suggestions?

I already called the dealership and it will cost $200 for top mount assembly, boot & sleeve, and bump stop. And it will take 3 days to arrive. I'm hoping for a cheaper and quicker solution.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0f26rpg4j...2023.18.55.jpg
    Last edited by Luvzvag; 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM.

Re: Strut Install Problem

Take a sharp chisel or punch to the broken allan key bit and try to tap it counterclockwise - if it is broken off flush, you should be able to dig in to it a little. There shouldn't be all that much holding it in there unless you totally deformed the top of the strut.
    Last edited by stefan; 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

If you can get anything to grab on the allen bit turn it in the direction of tightening and that normally pops them out. I would also start soaking it in a Liquid Wrench in an attempt to free it up.

Correction opposite direction (like above CCW) of how it got jammed
      Last edited by Talky; 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM.
      Tim
      Golf 1.8T GTI MKIV

Comment

I know it sounds counter intuitive but try to tap the allen bolt staight IN with a hammer, this may loosen the grip it has and then it should be easier to pull out.

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick responses! All great suggestions

I'll give it another go tonight and will report back. I also forgot to mention I sprayed the nut with penetrating oil last night hopefully this loosens things up some.

Comment

I can hook you up with the parts if you want . For dead chep to get you out of a bind
            sigpic

Comment

Same thing happened to me, I just used an air impact instead.
              Current Fleet
              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
              2001 Cobra #88/3786
              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                I can hook you up with the parts if you want . For dead chep to get you out of a bind
                Thanks! Pm'd

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                  Same thing happened to me, I just used an air impact instead.
                  Yeah I already tried that with 2 air impact wrenches yesterday. Will try again today, hopefully the penetrating oil loosens things up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                    I know it sounds counter intuitive but try to tap the allen bolt staight IN with a hammer, this may loosen the grip it has and then it should be easier to pull out.
                    This worked thanks MechEngg!!! It's so simple it's genius!

I smashed the allen bit head a few times with a hammer and it jarred loose. Too bad I just returned the spring compressor at Canadian Tire an hour earlier lol! Oh well... At least I can finish up and ride low(er) by the long weekend

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2igecua9l2...2021.08.27.jpg
                    Last edited by Luvzvag; 05-15-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

depending on where you live in the city (off deerfoot and 17th ave se here) you can borrow my spring compressers, they are just princess auto ones but they work
                      Last edited by MrSector9; 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

You need to use a spring compressor to take some of the tension off of the nut before you take it off. It will make it much easier and I am quite sure an impact will take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSector9 View Post
                          depending on where you live in the city (off deerfoot and 17th ave se here) you can borrow my spring compressers, they are just princess auto ones but they work
                          Hey MrSector9.

Belated thanks for the offer. I actually ended up purchasing my own from Princess Auto and completed the install the next day lol!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X