Car Detailing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Detailing questions

I have had the GTI for just over a month now, and detailing it and keeping it looking as new as I can has been going well but
    A couple of things have been frustrating for me & I was looking for tips and suggestions:

1)How do you clean the inside of your windows?
    I know that using windex is a bad thing. I have tried everything from automotive foaming class cleaner, to just water. I have used microfibre clothes to newspaper to spead the cleaner around but I'm still getting streaks.

2) How do you clean the plastic lens that cover the speedo/rev gauges?
    That stuff is pretty soft and scratches easily.

Any detail guru's out there that would care to share some ideas?

Thanks!
    Mike
    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Re: Car Detailing questions

1) Vinnegar + lots of newspaper = tons of win for the windows.

2)refer to number 1 above

i know it sounds weird, but it works.

Comment

So straight vinager, or do you water it down a bit?
      Mike
      '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
      '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I use stoner invisible glass on all the windows, it's tint safe too, and armor all on the gauge plastic
        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

invisible works good too, but i just find vinnegar a bit better. yeah you can water it down a tiny bit, but honestly not much. you dont need use much either.

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
            invisible works good too, but i just find vinnegar a bit better. yeah you can water it down a tiny bit, but honestly not much. you dont need use much either.
            I use invisible glass for the windows as well but am gonna try vinegar next time. We recently switched to vinegar for general household cleaning over the winter and I'm amazed how well it works on windows and mirrors. Newspaper is a new trick Ill have to give that a shot too.

I use meguires detailed for interior plastics and it does a nice job without leaving a shines residue.

Comment

I like to use 303 aerospace for the interior plastics. No shine and makes it look like the day we bought it. Now to find who sells it since crappy tire doesn't stock it anymore.....
              Mike
              '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
              '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I brought in some samples of a bunch of Sonax products including the glass cleaner. I have to say every product I have tried works awesome.
                Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Invisible glass is great, spray like one strip across the window and spread it out with a microfiber and wipe clean, no streaks as long as you don't spray a lot of it. The area of the strip should be less than 30% of the window area, I found this the best ratio to clean the window
                  Current Fleet
                  #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786
                  1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                  2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                  2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

For windows go to canadian tire and get Bon Ami, also using newspapers is the single best thing, the fibers are soft and clean streak free, but be careful to not use them if they are over saturated with cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                      For windows go to canadian tire and get Bon Ami
                      This was my cleaner of choice as well!
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
                        1) Vinnegar + lots of newspaper = tons of win for the windows.

2)refer to number 1 above

i know it sounds weird, but it works.
                        Newspaper absorbs a lot of oil but what does the vinegar do?
                        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

The acid in vinegar assists in breaking down the oils and others compounds that build up on your vehicles glass.

At any rate, use any windows cleaner you want that doesn't contain amonia, and clean with newspaper. The end result will be spotless windows.

For plastics, use water and mild soap if they are really dirty, and rinse again with straight water. Some plastics will break down with exposure to the wrong chemicals (of course this may taqke a very long time but it will happen).

Finally when all complete use 303 protectant on all plastics, it will prevent damage from UV rays.
                          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Bear View Post
                            I like to use 303 aerospace for the interior plastics. No shine and makes it look like the day we bought it. Now to find who sells it since crappy tire doesn't stock it anymore.....
                            Lots of places have it. Auto Value for one. Check out:
                            http://www.wheretobuy303.com/index.php?tab=CA

Comment

Working...
                            X