Need help installing side skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing side skirts

Can anyone lend me a hand putting the skirts on my GTI in exchange for beer? I have them test-fit with painters tape and the fitment looks good. I need a smart way of matching/drilling holes in the end as well as help keeping everything lined up while applying the double sided tape. On a related note, where can I find a small tube of windshield polyurethane to re-attach the one corner of my rear spoiler? It's only starting to come loose and I'm thinking just put a little extra adhesive in between and tape it down.

I'm hoping to get this all done by the weekend so Jeff can come by and 3M the whole thing.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: Need help installing side skirts

I found the best way was to take a small drill bit to make a pilot then put the screw/ bolt in.Then use 3m tape to line the lip. What kind of skirts are you putting on? I just did my GLI skirts and would be willing to help.
    -Terry
    -2014 S4
    insta:Whiney_S4

Comment

R32 style ABS plastic. They are reps but they fit extremely well and are ABS. I gave up finding OEM. How did you get the pilot hole to line up with the existing wheel well screws, or did you just drill new ones then use those threaded metal clip things to secure it?
      Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
      sigpic

Comment

I just lead a new ones with my Eurowerks REps. I Just put a Bolt in and its held very well. The left side 3m is starting to peel because a ton of water got into it): and caused peeling so i need to redo it but the 3m on the right is holding stong with the 2 bolts on either end, and my buddies have kicked it getting out/: The bolts are really just a extra safety thing and incase something goes wrong with the 3m i've read tons of stuff about peoble just using 3m though. Shoot me a text 403-629-4899
        -Terry
        -2014 S4

Comment

Hey I just got some urthane from my buddy yesterday and I only need a little bit your more than welcome to use what ya need to fix your spoiler if ya still need it

Comment

I had the same problem, but found Scotch brand 3m tape and screws work best over glue or epoxy shtuff
            FORZA VR

Comment

Sat out in the sun today at Fernie alpine resort and the tape started to let go. I guess I will have to pull them off, clay bar, rubbing alcohol and try again.
              Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
              sigpic

Comment

Silver I had to redo mine again as well. I Guess it has to be epoxied or it wont stay with the calgary weather.
                -Terry
                -2014 S4

Comment

Yea, I used tape a couple times on mine, then went with the body adhesive.

Comment

yea use the black body adhesive jeff but i think 3m double sided tape with screws at each end would suffice too..

Comment

Which tape are you guys using? My Rieger skirts stick fine wayyyy into the season (talking late fall) without issues. I use the 3M exterior mounting tape found at Home Depot (~$4.50 a roll)

Comment

Were did you get the Black body adhesive?
                        -Terry
                        -2014 S4

Comment

Working...
                        X