looking for assistance in replacing front sturt mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for assistance in replacing front sturt mounts

Hi guys, anyone interested in helping me replace my front strut mount and bearings? I looked into a couple diys and while it does look doable I don’t have all the right tools to get it done. I have princess auto spring compressors and that’s about it. Beer or pizza and my gratitude in exchange. You can even just supervise while I do the work. Need the guidance and know how. I have a garage and live close to down town. of course willing to drive to someone’s garage as well. I don’t have the mounts yet but plan to get them soon. its a MK4 Jetta 2.0.

Ken
    Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
    2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Re: looking for assistance in replacing front sturt mounts

I haven't done it in years, but as I recall it wasn't too hard. Shoot me a PM when you have all the stuff and we can get it done.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Comment

pretty easy thing to do as long as you have the tools. here is a guide for ya

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=703226

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstoned View Post
        I haven't done it in years, but as I recall it wasn't too hard. Shoot me a PM when you have all the stuff and we can get it done.
        great. thanks Jeff. will let you know.
        Danaldson, thanks. thats the one i have printed up. hoping its that easy.
        Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

I'm put in my 2 cents here. I've done my fair share of suspension related DIY's, however all of them require a re-alignment (if you dont wanna eat your tires too fast). There are some people that have the skills to replace strut mounts without knocking the alignment out of place. Might be worth your time to see if anyone has that experience and would be willing to help you out (Not saying Jeff cant, I dont know). Could save you $150 bucks and an appointment with an alignment machine
          Patryk
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
            I'm put in my 2 cents here. I've done my fair share of suspension related DIY's, however all of them require a re-alignment (if you dont wanna eat your tires too fast). There are some people that have the skills to replace strut mounts without knocking the alignment out of place. Might be worth your time to see if anyone has that experience and would be willing to help you out (Not saying Jeff cant, I dont know). Could save you $150 bucks and an appointment with an alignment machine
            Yes you have a very good point. Some information I left out was that my last service with Tubedub indicated a tie-rod replacement(along with crap strut mounts) and I understand that an alignment is part of the procedure so I figured I could do the strut mounts on my own with help and save on that first then bring it in for the tie rod service.
            Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

With that DIY you shouldn't have to get an alignment, none of the bolts are touched except the top bearing bolts.
              Use penetrating spray before you try to remove the bearing nut, we tried on a buddies the other week (300k on the car) and we couldn't get the bearing nut off with 3' breaker bars in each direction. Had to go pull upper hats from my suspension on the parts car and that was still a struggle.

Comment

I would love to help as I recently replaced my shocks and struts on my MKV on my own (with a lot of help from forum members when I hit unexpected snags)... unfortunately I can't afford the time to assist any time soon as I have a tonne of family obligations, home projects and online courses to deal with, however I can lend you all the specialty tools that you'll need to complete the job (spreader, triple square keys, sockets & bits, strut sockets, and spring compressors).

I'll be honest, the journey was long and frustrating at times but definitely very rewarding in the end. I must of lucked out because my alignment wasn't too bad afterwards (just had a very slight pull to the left) but took it into Crappy Tire for an alignment the very next day just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvzvag View Post
                  I would love to help as I recently replaced my shocks and struts on my MKV on my own (with a lot of help from forum members when I hit unexpected snags)... unfortunately I can't afford the time to assist any time soon as I have a tonne of family obligations, home projects and online courses to deal with, however I can lend you all the specialty tools that you'll need to complete the job (spreader, triple square keys, sockets & bits, strut sockets, and spring compressors).

I'll be honest, the journey was long and frustrating at times but definitely very rewarding in the end. I must of lucked out because my alignment wasn't too bad afterwards (just had a very slight pull to the left) but took it into Crappy Tire for an alignment the very next day just to be safe.
                  thanks for the offer anyways. lots of helpful guys on the forums.
                  Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

Working...
                  X