Interior car cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior car cleaning question

My mom's puppy had an accident in the back seat of her Tiguan. We did the best we could to clean things up but does anyone have any idea where she could take it to have it cleaned?
    Would like to get this taken care of before the heat of summer.

Thanks!
    Mike
    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Re: Interior car cleaning question

Cloth or leather?
    2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Cloth. I wish it was leather then it would have been easy.
      Mike
      '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
      '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I would take the seat out and pressure wash it
        2002 Jetta TDI
        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

I would caution against pressure wash your seat, it could permanently damage the material.

Ideally you would take this to a professional shop who would clean the upholstery with a proper extractor. Alternately, and likely what I would do, rent a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment and clean the seat surface with that. Maybe split the rental cost with a friend and clean a few car interiors to get your moneys worth.
          Last edited by sabbySC; 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM.
          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Good call! My mom is actually moving next week and will be having her carpets cleaned. Thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
            I would caution against pressure wash your seat, it could permanently damage the material.

Ideally you would take this to a professional shop who would clean the upholstery with a proper extractor. Alternately, and likely what I would do, rent a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment and clean the seat surface with that. Maybe split the rental cost with a friend and clean a few car interiors to get your moneys worth.
            Mike
            '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
            '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

You can use an extractor but all it does is clean the surface, It still stinks. I've pressure washed seats a couple times and it didn't damage material whatsoever. Didn't smell after either.
              2002 Jetta TDI
              2003 Jazz Blue GTI
              1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

When my pup had an accident in our car CT in the pet section had a pet organic cleaner and it worked great.Can't remember the name thou.

Comment

try a house hold steam/water cleaner with the hose attachment?

Comment

Steam vacuum with heavy duty cleaner
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Take the seat out of the Tig and really get it wet. Use a shopvac to suck up as much of the water as possible. Do this repeatly until the smell gets out. The problem is that it probably soaked right into the foam core. Unless you really dilute the offending substance it will never get out. If it doesn't come out the smell will really reek in the summer when it is 28*C out and the Tig becomes an oven. Trust me I had a dog(s) for the last 25 years. Last resort is to replace the seat.
                      2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Try a Bissel little green cleaner. I use it on my car when i clean it and it gets the football smell out really good XD
                        -Terry
                        -2014 S4
                        insta:Whiney_S4

Comment

Your issue is probably that the urine has soaked into the padding. It is not just on the surface. That means you should get a professional opinion from a detailing shop or restoration service.
                          The cleaner mentioned by VWSM is sold in all pet shops under names like "Nature's Miracle". Any pet shop will know what you mean. It recommends saturating the area and letting it dry. It warns against using any source of heat like a carpet cleaner (so-called "steam cleaner") because it will set the stain and odor. I've had to deal with both dog and cat urine on carpets and tried both Nature's Miracle and steam cleaning. But once the pee gets into the underpaid, you're hooped. In my experience the pet remedy doesn't work, and steam cleaning doesn't go deep enough. That's why I say you should get a professional opinion. Maybe they can remove the seat and get at the problem from the underside.
                          I would never use a pressure washer to "clean" anything. They're useful if you're wanting to strip paint or varnish. They're not gentle. Have you ever put your hand in front of one (not recommended). IMO, they are a lazy man's cleaner. I will use a pressure washer at a wand wash in the winter, but I hold the wand at least three feet away and just use it to wet the car and rinse it while I sponge it clean.

Comment

... and I thought kids were bad for vehicle interiors.

Good luck with getting this cleaned up.
                            - Jordan
                            '13 VW Golf R // '12 Audi Q5 3.2L // '12 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Comment

Nature's Miracle is awesome for cleaning up pet messes, or any enzyme cleaner that eats protiens should be good. On a side note I had a jerry can tip over and the piece that covers the spare tire area reeks of gas. Any ideas on how to get rid of that short of replacing the cover?

Comment

Working...
                              X