Enable Horn Honk when Locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable Horn Honk when Locking

I'm wondering if there is another setting somewhere that I'm not seeing, the horn beeps twice when I unlock and the lights blink, but I only have the lights when I lock it. I would rather hear the honk when I'm walking away instead of approaching the car. Ideas?

Re: Enable Horn Honk when Locking

My mk4's have always honked only on locking, never on unlocking. You might want to check some simple things such as your hood microswitch or hatch microswitch, because if those are bad then it will not allow the horn to beep when you are trying to lock the car.

Comment

If you've enabled the horn and it doesn't honk when locking, you most likely have a bad micro switch. Mine hasn't worked for about a year.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I have a new drivers door lock module and the lights on both doors work when the doors open. I'm pretty sure the alarm part is working because the red light on the door flashes, but I'll check the hood pin switch too.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
          I have a new drivers door lock module and the lights on both doors work when the doors open. I'm pretty sure the alarm part is working because the red light on the door flashes, but I'll check the hood pin switch too.
          Yes the doors will lock, the pins will be pulled down, the red light will flash and the doors will be armed. You just won't hear the beep until all of the microswitches are closed. It seems like a failsafe just incase you leave one of your doors or hood open so that you take notice that there wasn't a beep and look into the issue further.

Comment

Ah, makes sense, I'll investigate further tonight. I'll try to open the hood with the car "locked" and see if I get an earful.

Comment

Kay, hooked up the VAG-COM, says hood is open regardless of position of switch, I unhooked the connector behind the headlight and confirmed the switch is working with a multi-meter. I then connected the pins and still couldn't get it to show a "closed" position. I'm guessing the wires just go back to the convenience module? I'm trying to think of another failure point?

Comment

That sucks, but at least you know the problem or what to diagnose next. There is a connector, make sure the pins are ok on it. Then just follow wires back to see if a wire is broken at all.

Comment

My guess is it is corroded where the hood switch cable meets the cable that goes to the convenience module. It really isn't in a good place.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

What Brent said. MKIV's are getting old now as much as we'd hate to admit it. I'd take the multimeter and try testing up the wire. Good chance its corroded at that connection though.

Comment

I finally decided to poke around in this again, the hood switch was okay, but the radio is also wired into the same signal wire. When the hood is opened, the switch closes and connects the wire to ground. I don't know for sure, but from the wording from the Bentley, one of the lock tabs on the radio also has a ground contact switch so when you insert the radio keys and try to remove the it, the contacts are closed and setting off the alarm. The car would Honk with the radio unplugged, so I just put some tape over the tab on the back of the radio as you would on the headlight switch to diable the DRL's.

Comment

Working...
                      X