subframe damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subframe damage

so I just picked up a sub frame for my car and did not notice this damage till I was home should I be worried about it ? control arm still fits just wonder about the crack causing issues with strength now

Re: subframe damage

Its broken.
    It is a major component of your car.
    Toss it.

edit: Above is my opinion.
    Last edited by nismodrifter; 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

^^ couldn't agree more
      Unless you have some pretty impressive fab skills
      Derek
      01 GTI -cammed+stroked
      06 gmc - duramax
      11 Touareg
      Can am renegade 800

Comment

That's toast.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

ya that's kind of my thoughts being told that guys on air cut that part of the frame out all the time by the person I bought the subframe from

Comment

fail thats the worst spot for damage alignment will be out
            sigpic

Comment

Sell we're a good guy gave me my cash back picked up a good one from pic and pull car back together now

Comment

Originally posted by gotadub View Post
                ya that's kind of my thoughts being told that guys on air cut that part of the frame out all the time by the person I bought the subframe from
                Definitely not. I had a mk4 on air (plus working on many others) and there's no subframe modification at all

Comment

That is not a part you would ever cut for air for sure. The part that can be trimmed is in between the two mounting points of the control arm and it would only get slightly trimmed.
                  Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
                    Definitely not. I had a mk4 on air (plus working on many others) and there's no subframe modification at all
                    To clarify a bit, the OP came back to me and told me that the subframe movement was restricted and sent me a pic of the control arms lightly bolted in and just stretched up. I told him that to get more movement that the subframe can be trimmed where the control arm contacts the subframe because that might hold you up. I was mistaken as to the orientation of the subframe, he had the control arms facing downwards in the picture.
                    I agreed that the damage was too substantial and gave him his money back.

But yes there is subframe modifications to get lower on a mk4...however it is on the top by the bolts

Comment

I forgot about that one, my bad. I did have my subframe trimmed there but it was just the excess metal around the mount, it didn't cut into anything structural like shown in the OP

Comment

Working...
                      X