Mk4 to MK1 motor swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk4 to MK1 motor swap

Looking for some expert help on doing a motor swap. I have an mk4 2.0 donor car that I want to pull the motor out of and swap into an mk1 cabriolet.
    I am familiar with what needs to be done, I just don't trust my self to do it alone. I have read quite a bit and did some research but its not the same as someone who has done it or is familiar with this kind of work.

Reason I am going through all the trouble? well the cabriolet was dirt cheap and the body is in very good condition and still runs well. The Mk4 donor car, well lets just say it was free. My cousin bought it as a write off to use the interior and some body parts for a car he was fixing, and what was left is the drive train that only has 84xxx on it. He was gonna toss it before I stopped him but he told me he wants it off his acreage sooner than later.

Or is it not worth the trouble?

I am willing to pay, feed and help haha.
    Thanks
    Silver Stoned
    16' Lithium Gray F150( Winter mode)
    03' 24V VR6

Re: Mk4 to MK1 motor swap

Hey hey hey hold up a second, you can't do the exact same thing I am doing before I even start I have done a lot of research into it myself. It doesn't look like a super hard swap but it all depends on how you want to do it. If you want to keep the mk4 trans you will need custom engine mounts. A couple people sell them on the vortex. Depending on your model year you may have to change the cup size on the trans for the axels too (mine are 100mm so they bolt right up). Now that I have the suspension all done on my cabby I am going to finish pulling my engine from the parts car and assembling pieces.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Haha, well I won't do it until your done, and in the mean time ill come watch/help you do it that way I know what I am getting myself into(if you don't mind of course). I don't want to keep the MK4 trans because its an auto, and my cabby is an auto too. Eventually after I get the swap done If I feel the need for a manual it will be another project on its own. I know I cant stand auto either, but I couldn't pass up the deal at the time.

My cabby is a 1986.
      Silver Stoned
      03' 24V VR6

Comment

A 1.8t, VR6, ALH TDi, I all understand putting into an mk1. A 2.slow just seems like a waste of time and effort and you would be better just putting more power into the motor you have. I looked seriously into doing an ALH TDI MK2 swap a few years ago, even had the car. Came down to time and space in the end and had to abandon the project all together.

That's my 2 cents, if you see value and have the spare time then go for it!
        Ben
        2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
        2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
        2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
        Her's
        2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

There are multiple reasons to go with a 2.0 rather than anything else. A 1.8T takes lots of extra work to fit a turbo, intake pipes and in inter cooler. A VR6 is a lot heavy, takes different axles or alternatively a expensive eurowise kit. A TDI doesn't make sense due to the amount of work to change the fuel system, also inter cooling piping and the fact that it is a convertible. So that leaves a nice easy 2.0 that doesn't need any changes to the fueling system etc It does leave you with a nice modern engine that is perfect for cruising. Then in the future if you want more power, you already have the skills from swapping it once. At that time you will need to go with a MK4 trans to hold the power also as the 020 trans will grenade with that type of power.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

actually the 2.0 will be harder then a 1.8t because a 1.8t has been done many times in a mk1 and has been perfected. for the mk4 2.0 you will need all the same mounts as the 1.8t, NLS has a nice package. You will need different axle cups if using the mk4 tranny as well as modifying the downpipe + a whole lot of wiring work . But well worth it had a crossflow swap in a mk1 and it was nice and quick.
            Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

mk4 2.0 is a tall block so hood clearance may pose a problem in a mk1. it may also require the taller downpipe and a mk3 one might work better. not confirmed though. it's a great engine choice for both your swaps. that's plenty of jam to enjoy a mk1 a bit more. later 16v 020's have a larger input shaft so it provides a bit more beef than the 8v trans.
              you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

A mk3 2.0 is a much better swap then mk4 a few guys in town has done, just less complicated for the same amount of power. I have read also intake mani sometimes hits the hood with mk4. Something to do with how the mounts are pressed in i think, some guys just shaved material off the hood. Only way i would change gear box was is if i was swapping in something where a older gear box wouldn't handle the power(1.8t,vr6,tdi,4.2). The mk1 is a very "all about the feel" kinda car. I personally love the feel of the old cable clutch and gear linkages myself. My friend swapped in a built g60 from a corrado. It had cable shift and a hydraulic clutch it just didn't feel the same and totally lost the feel....but on the other end it had crazy power so one kinda goes with the other.

If i were you sell the donor car and swap in a 16v that is one of the nicest set-ups in a mk1 IMO(besides diesel lol). Since your cabby is a 86 i believe it will already, have 100mm axles so it would be one less thing to swap. I have no idea how the autotragic would stand up to 140hp over the stock 90hp if you went 16v. If i were to have another mk1 16v with twin webers is what would be going in.
                Last edited by Kane; 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM.
                2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
                2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
                1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

Sold a mk3 2.0 engine to a buddy of mine and he swapped it into his mk1 Jetta, really woke it up and was a fairly easy swap also it is all stock atm.
                  12 Volvo XC 90
                  03 Jetta1.8T
                  95 Cabrio VRT
                  90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

the 1.8t is easy the intercooler is not a problem and theoil and coolant lines are done already by vw ... no brainer . 1.8t .. fuel economy waaaay better out of the 1.8t as well .
                    sigpic

Comment

well the motor in the cabby was rebuilt, I could just turbo it and call it a 1.8t
                      Silver Stoned
                      03' 24V VR6

Comment

Working...
                      X