Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Question

It seems like everyone and their dog has an opinion on what kind of replacement battery you should get for a car. I have heard some glowing reviews for the Optima Red Top, and some terrible reviews of it as well. What is your favourite car battery? Why? What do you think is the best bang for your buck? To me, a battery is something that's worth a bit extra if it is going to provide a sure start and no surging lights to loud music.

Re: Battery Question

My airride compressors are drawing let's just say a **** load of current, and just a standard canadian tire battery has been working great for me for the past few years. I don't have any experience with other brand of batteries, however I have nothing bad to say about the generic CT ones....it also has a LOT to do with your alternator or capacitor as well for sound, since its not a constant power draw you might want to just think about getting a capacitor to even out the power spikes and an upgraded alternator if your system is big enough

Comment

Canadian tire battery is pretty good. Quick fire up.
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I just hate shopping at Crappy Tire so my last few batteries have been from Parts Source or Napa. They carry good name brand batteries, usually have a couple of choices.

I don't buy Optima just because it hasn't been direct-fit for the cars I have had, I am not interested in having to shoehorn something in there, I want it to just fit like OEM.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I get exide batteries dirt cheap through work. I replaced the battery in my wife's jetta in January. The battery was giving us issues all week as it was always dead and wouldn't hold a charge. I tested it and it failed so got it warrantied but it still shouldn't have had happen being only 6months old. Wasn't impressed to say the least.
          2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
          2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
          1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

I deal with Bosch and have great experience with them

http://i.imgur.com/nJrgpfk.jpg
            Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Funny this tread came up, had to boost the car this morning. The original battery in the car lasted 10 years in a stock car, who knows where the car will be in another 10 years, I'm just going to get another OE battery.

Comment

i just had to replace the battery on the allroad 2 weeks ago.. i just went with the walmart one maxx something.. 750CC and OEM size.. works fine and good warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
                  I deal with Bosch and have great experience with them

http://i.imgur.com/nJrgpfk.jpg
                  Ditto, wouldn't go for anything else for OEM direct replacement.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

My gassers I just get whatever the premium OEM-fitment one on the shelf at Napa is. For the Diesels, I have gone OEM. Have a hard time getting good high amp/hour batteries elsewhere.
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                      since its not a constant power draw you might want to just think about getting a capacitor to even out the power spikes and an upgraded alternator if your system is big enough
                      It has been said that caps do **** all with modern amplifiers. Even the guy who pioneered them said they are useless now. I would try one out if possible before wasting money on one.

I have interstate batteries in most of my cars and have had good luck with them.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                        It has been said that caps do **** all with modern amplifiers. Even the guy who pioneered them said they are useless now. I would try one out if possible before wasting money on one.

I have interstate batteries in most of my cars and have had good luck with them.
                        a cap fixed all the issues I had. Burned through 2 alternators. Got a cap and new. No issues since (approx 3 years ago)
                        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Some amplifiers yes, some no. One of my old amps actually had a mini capacitor built into it which probably helped. But the instantaneous power draw from those subs/amps is huge, and a capacitor provides the quick discharge power so the battery doesn't take as big of a hit. At least this is where i come from, for my constant drawing compressors compressors a capacitor isn't going to do squat for them, but for a large power draw sound system i bet it will help at least a bit

Comment

Natty, how much for a MKV GTI battery?

Comment

Dealer charged me $125 for an oem replacement battery.
                              2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                              Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Working...
                              X