MK4 jettta engine advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK4 jettta engine advice

Hi guys, looking for some car advice. For starters, I drive a 2000 MK4 2.0 Jetta Auto. Yesterday my car started having a burning smell when I was running the A/C. Turned it off and it went away. It was a short drive. Today after work i cranked on the A/C and within a few mins the smell was there again. On top of that i noticed smoke coming from the front end of my car. I immediately turned of the fan and A/C. The smoke and smell went away after 5 mins. I looked at the cluster and engine temp was at normal operating temp throughout the drive. Once i got home i popped the hood and saw some remnant smoke coming from the driver side Rad fan. I turned on the car and ran the A/C and saw that the passenger rad fan was running but not the driver side leading me to conclude that it has seized and the motor is burning up. Running the fan without the A/C didn’t turn on the right rad fan.
    1) Can i drive the vehicle for now until i get it fixed with the A/C off or does the car run the radiator fan regardless of A/C?
    2) Don’t drive it until i get the radiator fan replaced?
    Any advice would be grateful. Thanks.
    Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
    2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Re: MK4 jettta engine advice

You should get the fan fix ASAP just in case if the car gets very hot one day. You can still drive it just keep an eye on your coolant temp. If the fan doesn't work and dont serve any good just remove it and try to unseize it.
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

As far as I know the small fan is intended for the a/c, as long as you don't see the car getting hot I'd drive it, just don't use a/c. But get that fan fixed their fairly cheap and should only take about 20 min.
      Derek
      01 GTI -cammed+stroked
      06 gmc - duramax
      11 Touareg
      Can am renegade 800

Comment

I would maybe unplug the large fan. I had a dead rad fan and my 2L never overheated , but definitly get that replaced soon. It's not bad to change, one plug and 3 bolts.

Best of luck
        Alex Dewar
        2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
        03 Golf CL
        2.Slow

Comment

thanks guys. I'll play it on the safe side and park the car until i can get the fan in. the diys i have seen so far look simple. one of them suggested removing the oil filter to remove the assembly from the bottom. anyone do this before and have removed it from the top?
          Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

If it is just your a/c fan, I don't think you are going to do any harm by driving the car. That fan only operates when the a/c compressor clutch is activated. You should be fine as long as you keep the a/c turned off. If you feel like it's unsafe, just unplug that fan until you can get it replaced.

Comment

The small fan is purely for the A/C system as stated above.
              Didn't Lance have a fan for sale for like $5?

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                The small fan is purely for the A/C system as stated above.
                Didn't Lance have a fan for sale for like $5?
                Yes i saw his ad yesterday. its for an AVH engine. i wasn't sure if it would work for an AEG? plus it had a broken tab but for 5 bucks i guess i can try and make it work.
                Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

Rad fans were all the same for the 4 cylinder gas engines, well at least they were for the AEG/AWP. I would be almost certain that its the same for all mk4's inclusive. And for $5 i bet you could make it work somehow

Comment

I should have a fan for a AEG as my parts car is a 2L.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

"I looked at the cluster and engine temp was at normal operating temp throughout the drive."

I have a related question. I've been told that the Mk4 (and Mk5) temperature gauge is damped somehow. Does anyone know for sure? I've always wondered about that, because in two Mk4 2l gas cars the needle just sits on 90 all the time. Yet I've suspected one is running a bit hot sometimes. On my old Mk2, the needle would actually move around a bit depending on the climate and how hard it was working.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's one place I saw it, although for a TDI:
                      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=266071
                      "That dash guage is computer controlled and is set up to mask ALL normal variations. It will read dead center from 162 to 225 F or so."
                      Last edited by resolute; 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Yes i will attest to that, used my vagcom and the needle read "90" all the way from 72 til at least 106

Comment

I can't remember who was doing it here, but there is a way to code the gauge, usin vag-com, to read actual temperature. Anyone?
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

You can do it but it's not done using vagcom, you have to use VCDS pro I think. Same software you use for doing the remote windows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                              I should have a fan for a AEG as my parts car is a 2L.
                              hey stonewall, i would be interested if you do have it. let me know. thanks.
                              Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

Working...
                              X