Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW Preparing Subcompact CUV, Next-Gen Polo for U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Preparing Subcompact CUV, Next-Gen Polo for U.S.

http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen...#axzz2Y5SeQIJW

Volkswagen may soon enter the U.S. subcompact segment in a big way. We’ve heard that the automaker will offer a subcompact crossover below the Tiguan, and a company spokesman has confirmed to us that the next-generation Polo is headed to our shores as well.

Below a redesigned Tiguan, VW will offer an even smaller crossover in the U.S. in a few years. Former VW chief engineer Ulrich Hackenberg told us before he was transferred to Audi that the company must be present in the subcompact crossover segment against rivals such as the Buick Encore. Honda is preparing a crossover based on the next-generation Fit subcompact, and Kia is considering a small crossover as well. VW’s entry will be developed from the same amazingly versatile MQB architecture as the upcoming seven-seat crossover, but will be more like the Ford Fiesta in size. The Volkswagen CrossPolo is shown here.

A VW spokesman confirmed to us the future subcompct Volkswagen crossover will come to the U.S., as will the closely related next-generation Polo hatchback. The reason is CAFE.

This small crossover is still at least three years from sale. But use of the MQB architecture means it can have all-wheel drive as well as hybrid applications with front-wheel drive or electric all-wheel drive, depending on market demands. The related Polo will also be offered with full-electric drive (an e-Golf is going on sale in Europe before the end of 2013), but a full-electric crossover, although technically easily feasible in VW’s modular system, is highly unlikely.

Currently, Volkswagen’s least expensive offering in the U.S. is the 2013 Jetta, powered by a 115-hp 2.0-liter I-4 mated to a five-speed manual. Including destination, the car carries a $16,720 MSRP, leaving plenty of room for a subcompact Volkswagen to help meet increasingly strict fuel economy regulations. A Polo sedan is shown at right.
    I don't know about everyone else, but I think the Polo is an awesome little car. Hopefully this means we'll see them here too! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get the Polo GTI here!
    Last edited by CGY_GTI; 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM.
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Re: VW Preparing Subcompact CUV, Next-Gen Polo for U.S.

The polo GTI would be a great competitor against the Focus ST, and if VW wants to dominate the small car market here they'll need something like the polo. If it ever comes here I just hope we can get that twincharged 1.4TSI motor, it's a very fun motor.
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I had a Polo when I lived in Chile and loved it! Hope to see it over here soon.
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I am honestly surprised it has taken this long to make this move; as Golf's have gotten bigger and rivals like Mini, Fiat, Smart and the Ford Fiesta have gotten popular I think VW has missed out on what they were known for in the early days, great small cars, and selling the Polo in NA would be a good move IMO. I do like the new Polo's and the GTI is pretty sweet, but I am already thinking smaller and like the Up personally.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Never thought I'd hear that the Golf is 'big' but compared to the MKI, it's ginormous! Even beside my brother's Integra, it makes my Golf look like a Tiguan. :O
          Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Why. Why can't they just decide to bring the Scirocco over. I would buy one so quick.

Comment

Working...
            X