Thoughts on APR vs. Malone tune for TDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on APR vs. Malone tune for TDI

I only went with mike over Mark was there was a group buy on tdi club price was right could not turn it Down

Comment

Well I'm installing a VNT17vb in my BEW in the next week. Then I'll be going to Mark to get a tune. Currently I get 800-900 km/tank without the vent mod and everything stock. I'll report again after the VNT17 and tune.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        Well I'm installing a VNT17vb in my BEW in the next week. Then I'll be going to Mark to get a tune. Currently I get 800-900 km/tank without the vent mod and everything stock. I'll report again after the VNT17 and tune.
        I'll be interested to see the difference without the a ventectomy...but I would recommend doing it, as you can get a few more liters in the tank, and it fills quicker.
        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Where you buying your turbo? Mine is starting to show age, might be time to look into a replacement.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I bought it from a guy on the Toronto VW forums.

Comment

Did anybody actually shipped their ECU to Mark? How long does it take to get it back?

Comment

Why not just rent the flashzilla loader? Much more convenient for you as you can still use your car as you're waiting for loader to arrive in the mail.
                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

I'll just drive over.

Comment

I'll just drive over.
                    lol...you're lucky.
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

A little update:

My appointment with Mark Malone is set for beginning of September. I talked to Mark about my needs and asked him for his recommendations.

He suggested a tune somewhere between a Stage 2 and stage 4, with some things will be tuned a bit differently since it's a tiptronic and I want to preserve the transmission.

Comment

Went to see Mark (cool guy) and got the tune last night, first impressions:

There is a marked improvement in acceleration, the power response is very smooth with less lag and has a consistent delivery.

I'll have to do some driving over the next weeks and report my findings on fuel economy.
                        Last edited by witchcraftz; 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Good to hear! Mark is amazing just through email...curious about the vnt 17 and how it performs. Keep us posted!

Comment

My passat's ecu file is getting fine tuned as we speak. Going from a stage 0 to a stage 2. I hear they can produce some black smoke, but I have no problems with that. My opinion on black smoke if you don't like it you should have bought a faster car to stay in front of me....
                            Ben
                            2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                            2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                            2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                            Her's
                            2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                              My passat's ecu file is getting fine tuned as we speak. Going from a stage 0 to a stage 2. I hear they can produce some black smoke, but I have no problems with that. My opinion on black smoke if you don't like it you should have bought a faster car to stay in front of me....

lol.
                              Only thing out of the ordinary that I needed from Mark was an additional tweak on the EGR for the high idle version of his tune I got to try last winter. For some reason the EGR misbehaved under his standard tuning process and cause the car to sputter a lot when cold.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I have to change the glow plugs as I am pretty sure they have the 5v one in there and never did the 7v recall. Have the new plugs, but need the time to do the glow plug swap before I do the chip.
                                Ben
                                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                                2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                                2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                                Her's
                                2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Working...
                                X