Just wondering what everyone would suggest for air ride
    Brandon..

2001 Jetta Gls-- Sold
    1972 Super Beetle
    1981 Rabbit Pickup
    2003 Gti 20Th
    2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-- Daily

Re: Air ride systems

I would highly suggest that you do a bit of research on this subject by visiting places like the airride technical forums on vortex and if you are just starting out with airride maybe visit an airride 101 page and learn more about the different systems.
    The reasons I suggest this is because everyone wants something different in terms of cost, features, etc and you must decide that for yourself. You have given us zero information on what you want or need or its inttended use, therefore we can't give you relevant advice without us each writing out long paragraphs and explanations (which I don't think is fair for someone to do when you write up a 1 sentence post)
    If you have questions on specific systems, feel free to ask away, but as a whole I would suggest doing a bit of research and bringing some ideas to the table to get this discussion rolling
    Sean

Comment

For management I am running autopilot v2, personally I think it's great. It has been very reliable for me so far. I don't usually have more than one or 2 people in my car so I don't need that height adjustment that elevel has. Autopilot is also easier to install, and the controller also tells you the pressures which level doesn't unless you run gauges.
      Last edited by Danaldson; 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Go with what you can afford and do your research. I started with boc and manual switches,then to bagyard with digital. My only advice wouldbe to spend on quality components right from the start and if money is tight just start off with a manual set up.
        Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

I have been doing some research too and its pretty hard to find information. Lot of different opinions and not a lot of authorative sources?

My impression is that the air ride community is hugely DIY and that few shops install air ride still. Why do you guys think this is true?
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            I have been doing some research too and its pretty hard to find information. Lot of different opinions and not a lot of authorative sources?

My impression is that the air ride community is hugely DIY and that few shops install air ride still. Why do you guys think this is true?
            Because there is so much work involved (building the trunk setup, wiring, install, running lines, management etc) there is no definite way, every install is different. Usually shop installs are ridiculously expensive because of the amount if time it takes to do it properly.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Try reading the following to get a sense of the basics and what differences are between the different types of management and bags/struts. Very basic to understand, and then once you have a budget and know what type of system you want it is easy to add/substitute items such as alternate compressors, alternative gauge systems, different valves, different tanks etc.

http://bagriders.com/modlab/pages/AIR-RIDE-FAQ.html

Comment

The basis of air ride is very simple, an air bladder replaces the standard coil spring in your car. The ride hieght and spring rate is directly effected by the amount of air that is pumped into the bags. there are three common air bladder(bag) styles. They are sleeve,tapered sleeve, and bellows. The bellows style will ride the best and is the most used as it has been used in commertial vehicles since pnumatic suspention has been used. There are three main types of air management contol, manual(user adjusted usually based on gauge pressure), pressure based( computer adjusted height based on preset pressure), and ride height based( as it sounds a computer sets ride height based on ride height sensors). I will no get into what is best as it always starts a fight. All of the air adjustments are made through valves of some form. Youill not find any definitive information on what you need to buy as it all comes down to money and personal prefference. The air struts are like coilovers and have a high and low end spectrum.

Comment

Tonnes of info out there on Vortex...I'll be going Accuair E-Level, Airlift Slam XL fronts, AAC Firestone rears, Air Zenith compressor, 5 gallon tank.
                  Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

SS-5 and idf brackets for the rear , airlift front, elevel contoler, az compressors aluminum tank parker fittings. I would have said bagyard for the front but they are having issues as a company right now. Bilstien sport rear shocks

Comment

Working...
                    X