VR6 burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VR6 burning oil

So my new winter car (1996 Jetta VR6 12v) is burning some oil, and of course i noticed after i handed over the cash. The car does have 285,xxx km's so i expect it to burn a little oil but this is a visible cloud.

It doesn't burn any oil when cold or light acceleration/casual cruising. But when the engine is hot and i step on it, blue smoke plumes out in the low RPM's but stops as the revs get up. This usually happens after cruising then coming to idle.

Would this be valve stem seals or pistons rings? She might be running a thin 5w/30 oil, i havent changed the oil as it just got parked till November. I never got a chance to run a compression test but it runs real smooth and powerful.
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Re: VR6 burning oil

Change it to some shell rotella t6 and see if it clears up.
    Sounds like rings to me stem seals are usually on start up or deceleration
    Derek
    01 GTI -cammed+stroked
    06 gmc - duramax
    11 Touareg
    Can am renegade 800

Comment

I just did some vortex searching on the rotella T6, i will run that. People have said they have burned much less oil after using that. Thanks.

I was also looking for an alternative to 5w/40 castrol syntec, heard that oil isn't good. Might just run it in my 2L engines as well.
      Mitch

1996 Harlequin
      2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

I always ran 5w30 castrol edge syntec in my VR before I blew the oil pan, they're approved by vw if you google the approved list. Right now I'm using 5w40 lubimoly because I couldn't get any other as I blew my pan, but I don't feel a difference between the two.
        My mom's van was burning oil like 1L/2000km, I grabbed a can of that engine restore thing from Canadian tire and dumped it in the engine during the oil change, now it burns much less, filled only 300mL after 2000km. Maybe give it a try?
        Last edited by kujiwara; 07-17-2013, 11:44 PM.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
        X