APR Carbonio CAI throwing Engine Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APR Carbonio CAI throwing Engine Light

I installed the APR Carbonio intake into my 2012 2.5 Golf this winter, never had any issues with it at all. When it started warming up, my engine light came on. Martin scanned it months ago and it came back as air flow codes, we blamed it on the intake and cleared it. I waited and waited, it came on again the day before Close to Home, which i ignored for a day and it scanned the same. All just air flow codes (apparently, thats what im told anyway)

I had it cleared, it came on a few more times but always went off on its own in a day or 2. I started to break down when i noticed it on and off, it seemed to come on when it was really warm out and i was stuck in traffic, then all of a sudden would get a break and get to accelerate. Then if it was a bit chilly or rained for a day or 2, it would turn itself off again.

I had it looked at again since it was on for a while due to the nice weather and 5th ave wanted to try a MAP sensor replacement. It seemed to have helped for a few days but it just came on AGAIN.

Its driving me insane, i emailed APR to see if anyone else has ever run into it, they have never heard of the issue. Now I'm told to return back to stock and just clear it and move on, which i dont want to do. I spent a good amount of money on the intake and i like what it does for the car. I dont want to have a constant engine light on for the obvious "boy who cried wolf" reasons, but i dont want to have it cleared constantly.

Anyone else seen this? Know what might help at all?

Also, if i was in the market for a cable to scan myself, i would get it and just keep it in the car and do it every time it came on, but im not.
    I take pictures for money.

Re: APR Carbonio CAI throwing Engine Light

I'm suggesting this as a process of elimination thing............ return it to stock, clear the code and drive it around for awhile to see if the engine light comes back. Sounds like the CEL is being consistant as to when it comes back on, so hopefully you wouldn't have the CAI off for long.
    Last edited by Kona Bear; 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM.
    Mike
    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

+1 for what konabear said
      ~~TODD~~
      '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

damn, its a bit of work to get the intake out too...now that i dont have a garage i may bug some of you to help me

Comment

Jim, as long as i'm available on evening, my garage is always open for you!
          Patryk
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Thanks Pat! You're the best

Comment

had it in yet again, APR intake is still on. Engine light was cleared then came on again, and stayed on. Starting yesterday my car would idle very high (1100 compared to the usual 700), then started revving up to 2000-2200 on its own over and over anytime the car was stopped. Its back in, probably going back to stock. I have emailed APR because this intake wasnt cheap, i love what it does to the car and im SO disappointed it cant be ran without problems.

Anyway...if this fixes it, im sure the intake will be for sale if anyone else wants to try it.

Comment

you might have a flap failure on the intake manifold ..... also had a couple intakes crack and read false air
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                  you might have a flap failure on the intake manifold ..... also had a couple intakes crack and read false air
                  Thanks bud, ill have them check right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X