Help with mk1 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with mk1 project

Hi guys my I am planning to build a 86 vr6 Cabrio for my parents for their 20th anniversary gift in December.
    I will not be purchasing conversion kits, instead I would have either an obd1 or obd2 vr6 jetta to work with, and the Cabrio is an 86 mk1 with no engine.
    Here are my plans, swap everything from the mk3 into the mk1 to make wiring as easy as possible, but I can still figure it out since I have a buddy who's a vw mechanic.
    2. Swap the subframe from the mk3 so I don't need custom driver side axle.
    3. Swap the rear disc brakes and five lug from the mk3, I believe the rear axle stubs are the same according to vortex.
    4. Use the mk1 or mk2 strut mounts on the mk3 struts so I don't need to swap over the actual metal mounts on the frame.
    5. Swap the fuel system over.
    6. Possibly swap the abs system, run new brake lines, swap pedal box.
    7. Install engine and transmission, question: do I need new engine mounts after swapping subframe? Or do I just need to drill new holes on the mk1 frame? How about the transmission mount? Both cars are manual from the factory.
    8. Reinforce the body since its a Cabrio and is over twenty years old.

I've done lots of research, it seems that 8v and 1.8t swaps are much more common, I would love to do an 1.8 swap since its much smaller but I'm not familiar with the motor and mostly because there aren't any available at my budget which is why I decided to go with a vr6.

Any tips are welcomed, please help mk1 gurus!
    Last edited by kujiwara; 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Re: Help with mk1 project

You're in for a pretty big project. I'm about to tackle a 1.8t swap into an 87 Cabrio and it's not as simple as "just swapping all the parts you need over"

VR swaps arent popular because its such a heavy engine it ruins the weight distribution of the car. Theres no need for it with 1.8T swaps being possible.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

x2^
      I just finishd my 1.8t swap with megasquirt into my mk1. I have also done a mk2 vr swap recently and would definitly encourage you to stay away from swapping a vr6 into a mk1.

I have a spare 1.8T AEB motor sitting on a engine stand i'd be willing to let go off
      Curtis.

Comment

Mk1's don't have subframes so you can't really swap it out either.
        2002 Jetta TDI
        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
          Mk1's don't have subframes so you can't really swap it out either.
          I know that I need to cut part of the frame off I think.
          Current Fleet
          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Sounds like an extremely ambitious project. Do you have any experience with welding/construction/body work/wiring that is going to be your strong point here? If not then it might end up costing you a lot of money to get this done quickly and done safely so it can be a road going vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
              Sounds like an extremely ambitious project. Do you have any experience with welding/construction/body work/wiring that is going to be your strong point here? If not then it might end up costing you a lot of money to get this done quickly and done safely so it can be a road going vehicle
              One of my relatives is very good at welding, im pretty good at construction and body work, wiring is a problem for me if I don't swap the entire harness over, I will most likely ask for help on the forum for the wiring.
              I know it's pretty ambitious but I will get it done for sure. Thanks for the quick responses!

I may go with the aeb motor if its a better value.
              Last edited by kujiwara; 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM. Reason: Additional info
              Current Fleet
              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

It can be done, but your Dec time frame might be tight.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                  It can be done, but your Dec time frame might be tight.
                  Thanks, I could be swapping a 1.8t since I got an offer, and it's quite a bit easier than a VR swap.
                  Current Fleet
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Wiring is also not as easy as just swapping the harness. You need the donor engines harnesses and ecu, and then you need to tie them into the existing Cabrio harness. I've been reading about the wiring for weeks and have printed and bookmarked hundreds of pages regarding it.
                    Last edited by onceover; 07-28-2013, 09:04 AM.

Pat

His
                    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

a mk1 vr handles and drives fine. It does not weigh much more then a 1.8t. The 5 bolt brake disks bolt on the rear. I would make mounts and deal with the axle as the plus suspention is to wide for the mk1. Good luck and remember the car will have to pass a safety for insurance.
                      Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                        Wiring is also not as easy as just swapping the harness. You need the donor engines harnesses and ecu, and then you need to tie them into the existing Cabrio harness. I've been reading about the wiring for weeks and have printed and bookmarked hundreds of pages regarding it.
                        What I'm planning is to swap everything from the mk3 if I do the vr6 swap, including the dash since I could get a donor mk3 vr6 jetta. I know there will be problems with mounts and drive shafts etc. for the AEB swap, I don't need to worry about the mounting stuff, but I will be facing wiring the harnesses since I don't have a donor car.
                        Current Fleet
                        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
                          a mk1 vr handles and drives fine. It does not weigh much more then a 1.8t. The 5 bolt brake disks bolt on the rear. I would make mounts and deal with the axle as the plus suspention is to wide for the mk1. Good luck and remember the car will have to pass a safety for insurance.
                          Either engine I need to reinforce the frame since they weight quite a bit more than the stock engines. The track will be much wider with the mk3 subframe but because the top strut mounts are not changed I will be running lots of camber. Do I still need to pass a inspection if the mk1 has a clean title?

Edit: debating which engine to have AEB or AAA, Aeb is much easier mechanically but wiring will be difficult since i don't have an entire loom for a car, aaa seem to be much more difficult mechanically but wiring will be much easier as i can't get the entire car. Gurus, please give me suggestions for a engine swap first timer, thanks!
                          Last edited by kujiwara; 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM.
                          Current Fleet
                          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

If you think you can fit a new subframe in you still have a lot more reading to do before you attempt anything. Sorry to be blunt but better you come up with a solid game plan before starting.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                              If you think you can fit a new subframe in you still have a lot more reading to do before you attempt anything. Sorry to be blunt but better you come up with a solid game plan before starting.
                              Went to check the car tonight, body and suspension seems solid need little work, transmission is good according to the owner. Need new bearing, hub, engine mount rubbers, seats, roof, bondo, hood. I will go with the aeb motor if I'm satisfied with the condition and the price, change the timing belt, I will need to find a agu/awp/aww intake manifold and a cable throttle body, ecu + harness without immobolizer, redo the fuel lines and pump to match the fuel injection system, do more reading on the wiring, oil and coolant lines need to be changed with ones from a mk3 TDI?? Gurus please help me out with the wiring diagrams... If the 1.8 engine is good I will get the car and engine this week.
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X