Oil Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change?

Tried searching but didn't have much luck finding what I'm looking for in the fourm at all. Is it worth the time and cost to do your only oil change on a 2.5L Golf? Called around to a few places and they seem pretty pricey. We normally have it done at the VW dealership in Medicine Hat, as we're down there pretty often but this go around we won't be making for some time and will be long past the due date. It seems to be over $30 more to have it done here, is that right? Where do you guys go?

Re: Oil Change?

What price are they giving you?? Where have you called for this?
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Give me a call or email at Calgary Autoworks and I'll make sure you get taken care of fairly.

-Colin
      Come see us for Sonax Cleaning Supplies, Parts, ECS Orders and General Maintenance!
      Follow us on Twitter!

Calgary Autoworks
      #7, 1115 - 48th Ave SE
      Calgary, Alberta
      T2G 2A7
      403-243-9661
      Info@CalgaryAutoworks.com

Comment

Well, call me a sissy, but I let the dealer do it. I've always changed my own oil on Mk2s and Mk4s with the spin-on filters, but the Mk5 uses a plastic housing which has to be tightened with the correct torque. It also has the sometimes problematic plastic drain nipple thing. For peace of mind I get the oil change and 42-point inspection, battery test and fluids top-up package at the same time for $116 last time (the oil and filter element portion is $65). If you go elsewhere, be sure they know VWs. You don't want some Mr. Lube guy tightening that plastic (crackable) filter housing to what he thinks is right.

Comment

Calgary Autoworks is a VAG specialty shop. Totally recommend their services!
          --
          Rod
          Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
          2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

^^^ totally reccommend CAW
            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

Just buy a torque wrench and do it yourself. You'll save money in the long run, and feel accomplished in the end

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

+1 on the torque wrench. you'll use it for life on everything on your car. Having said that having a shop like calgary autoworks do it for you has it's benefits. They'll usually change the oil, do it properly the first time, and usually look at other things in the car and let you know what's up and what needs more attention.
                drive green ||
                2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

you dont need a torque wrench for the housing,simply mark it along the side with a paint pen and retighten to the same spot. Oil change prices are completley dependant upon the quality of oil as well as the filter. Hengst and man are filters you can pick up from any german auto shop, as well as oils like total and fuchs. The torque is 25nm (even says it on the cap) and that equates to around 18 ft lbs. Like the drain bolt, it doesn't need much, just enough to keep the seal. Also, the quality oil filters will come with the cup seal that cheap fram filters wont.

Comment

Working...
                  X