MK5 fender flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK5 fender flares

Anyone have the guys to do this (that is cut their fenders to put these on)

http://fifteen52.us/shop-2/#!/~/prod...12&id=25672048

Last edited by beeR32; 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM.

Re: MK5 fender flares

Doesn't look like it increases the ability to run wider/more spaced out tires. Plus with the body work that you would have to do to get it looking decent, might end up being cheaper to just pull them properly

However i think these are very much what the mk5 golfs need. They are way way way too flat coming down in the back for a proper wheel look/setup. Yes some people pull it off well, but most of the time i always look at the rear end wondering what it would look like with the same type of flares as the mk4's
    Last edited by MechEngg; 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

This is what it says on their website...

"Originally designed for racing applications, the bolt-on flare kit for the Mk5 GTI and Rabbit (2-door models only*). These will add about 55mm clearance in front and 35mm clearance in the rear. Constructed of durable FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic), the flares are shipped primed, ready for paint.

Installation hardware is included, but professional installation is recommended. To make use of the wider flares both the front and rear fenders will have to be cut out, but how much will depend on your suspension and wheel/tire setup.
      We only have a few sets available out of the first batch and have no idea when we will be making more. We're offering these first few sets for $599.52 plus shipping. Availability is first come, first served. When we do make more of these, the price is expected to go up substantially.

*Fitment on the 4-door Rabbit, GTI, and Jetta is possible but will require extensive modifications to the rear flares."
      Last edited by Ur0Drivr; 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM.
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

^^But to do that you need to trim the hell out of your current fenders anyways. Then touch them up so they don't rust. So it is irreversible so to speak.

Just a personal opinion but cutting, pulling, welding the fenders and the bumper would lead to a cleaner result. Unless rugged is the look you are going for, like a big truck?

Comment

Yeah those flares remind me of the flares that those big truck doucher's mount on their car.
          Mitch

1996 Harlequin
          2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

This. your current fenders are still there. I looked into them, liked them at first but would cost just as much to pull your fenders and weld them properly.

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            ^^But to do that you need to trim the hell out of your current fenders anyways. Then touch them up so they don't rust. So it is irreversible so to speak.

Just a personal opinion but cutting, pulling, welding the fenders and the bumper would lead to a cleaner result. Unless rugged is the look you are going for, like a big truck?

Comment

The flares are what, $500 a set? It would cost an awful lot more than $500 to pull your fenders and do the bodywork required in order for it to look good. If I were to build a track car from a mk5, I would definitely consider these to add track width without spending a ton of money. You cut away the fender underneath the flare so it has more clearance. There would be no point to bolting these on and leaving the stock fender underneath.

Comment

My first thought was:
                Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
                Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
                Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

^^ that is awesome...

I was thinking more that it would look like these... obviously not nearly as aggressive. but you get the idea

or this...

Last edited by beeR32; 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Holy expensive
                    ~~TODD~~
                    '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
                      The flares are what, $500 a set? It would cost an awful lot more than $500 to pull your fenders and do the bodywork required in order for it to look good. If I were to build a track car from a mk5, I would definitely consider these to add track width without spending a ton of money. You cut away the fender underneath the flare so it has more clearance. There would be no point to bolting these on and leaving the stock fender underneath.
                      $600 for an initial pre-buy set. More expensive for actual production they say. Then you need to paint them. Then you need to cut your fenders. Then you need to rust-proof the cuts on your fenders. Then you need to fit/trim/install these.

I'm just saying that if you get a shop to fit the flares/do the modifications to fit the flares, it might actually creep up to the cost it would take to do it properly. This is going on my guess/pure assumption that it would cost about $1500 to get a shop to pull your fenders/bumper as such. Maybe someone with body work experience could chime in? Or is it going to cost more like $3000 to get them pulled properly?

Comment

Very expensive when you can get the JDM fiberglass ones for a few hundred...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-Universal...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

There are a few B5 S4s with them and they actually look quite good. Really racer-boyish.. but still cool.

Comment

I really don't like the word 'universal fit' when it comes to things like this. The nice thing about the 1552 ones is there created against the mk5 body for reference. Either way I don't think I have big enough 'plums' to cut up my car... at least not yet anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X