Question: Huge drop in engine coolant level in just 597Km

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Huge drop in engine coolant level in just 597Km

Hello, my GTI is at 3114Km at the moment. I noted the engine coolant level after pulling in the garage this evening (flat surface) and the level has dropped quite a bit. (Comparison photos below) Is this normal?

Both photos were taken in garage. First was at 2517Km. Second at 3114Km. 597Km difference.
    Last edited by driverfound; 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM.

Re: Question: Huge drop in engine coolant level in just 597Km

Looks like your engine is running in both pictures, was one just starting up the car and the other one while the engine is warm? They would be at different levels cool and hot

Comment

Someone correct me if im wrong but I was under the impression that the levels will go up and down and the amount in the reservoir is actually overflow coolant that needs to be at a certain level (between the lines).
      drive green ||
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
      2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

When it gets hot the level usually drops i believe, so if the first picture was taken when you first started up the car i would say it is a typical drop. Have you noticed any wet spots on the concrete where you park?

Comment

Just keep watching it. What you are showing isn't actually that big of a difference. Remember that it is going to expand and contract as it heats and cools, the level isn't going to be 100% the same like it is with oil.

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
            Just keep watching it. What you are showing isn't actually that big of a difference. Remember that it is going to expand and contract as it heats and cools, the level isn't going to be 100% the same like it is with oil.
            exactly. If it drops more than start to worry. Its a new car and once parts start to get used and heat up its going to drop a little. If it empties... than start worrying. If I were the tech and the car was this new I would suspect a block heater was improperly installed during the pdi. Coolant can actually leak and dry up on the side of the block with no signs on leaking on the floor, seen this a few times on new cars. As for now, let it be and make note of it with your first service.

Comment

Working...
            X