Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Fog lights install

Hey guys,

I ordered fog lights from ecs tuning for my non fog lighted mk5 jetta. I then hooked up the three grounds and put the wire to the switch through the firewall into slot 5 in the connector. The problem I'm having right now is one fog light is running right now if the key is in the ignition or if it's not. My other fog light is not getting any power to it so we tried replacing the fuse and relay and the one still stays one while the other doesn't come on. Any help would be appreciated.

Courtney!

Re: Help! Fog lights install

3 grounds? What does the harness look like? I don't think I had to hook up 3 grounds when I did my mk4

Comment

Step 1) Sell mk5
      Step 2) Buy mk4 and be cool like the rest of us
      Step 3) ?????
      Step 4) Profit
      Buy my stuff!
      8v Society#35
      MK4 2.0T
      &
      MK4 24v VR6 GLI

Comment

There is one ground from the relay and a ground from each plug at the fog lights

And lance, I'm ignoring that

Comment

Where is your battery connection?? Power circuit should be fused from battery into relay pin 30, and then out to both fogs via pin 87. Switched circuit goes from your headlight switch to the relay pin 86, then pin 85 is grounded. Should be pretty simple unless there is an additional CANBUS signal

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            Where is your battery connection?? Power circuit should be fused from battery into relay pin 30, and then out to both fogs via pin 87. Switched circuit goes from your headlight switch to the relay pin 86, then pin 85 is grounded. Should be pretty simple unless there is an additional CANBUS signal
            I have no idea what you are talking about because it has a harness of it's own. It is plug and play except running the wire to the switch and the grounds and the putting the hot to the distribution block.

Comment

This is the instructions we followed

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...com/mkvfog.pdf

Comment

This is where we hooked power.

http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/o...er_media_share

Comment

If you followed those instructions that is exactly what I explained above, just with terminal numbers. Trace the wires all the way back to the relay, mistakes have been known to happen in those ecs wiring harnesses. Also are you running 27w halogen bulbs? 35w? 55w? HIDs?

Comment

I'm running 55w. And the harness shouldn't be getting constant power?

Comment

Also did you ground the negative side of the bulb to a suitable ground that is directly connected to the frame without paint in the way

Comment

If you just want me to stop by and check it out let me know.

Comment

Yea we grounded it on the bolts the car uses on the frame. If you want to come you can, we are out in springbank though

Comment

Double check your connections, both placement and quality of the connection. Make sure wires in the harness go fully back to the relay. If you still can't get it I'll drive out tomorrow after work

Comment

Well we are pretty convienced it is the wiring of the relay harness but we don't know why there is constant power

Comment

Working...
                              X