Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk3 VR6 vs Mk4 Vr6

Hey guys,

So this is just me asking because I'm toying with the idea of selling/trading my a4, which it seems I can't make my mind up about! In all honesty I love my audi but I'm getting bored of the auto, and that combined with the fact that it weighs 3,800lbs means unless I dump $10,000 into it a vr6 GTI will still be faster. So here is my question, and hopefully it doesn't sound too dumb, is a mk3 vr6 or mk4 vr6 a more solid motor? Or are they the same? I can't remember when the OBD I to OBD II switch was and I love mk3s for body style but I like mk4s for interior/"newness".
    Any serious answers would be awesome! Also, if anyone needs a stage 1 daily driver PM me for details!

Also for reference: by which is a more solid motor I mean reliability, power, ability to get the crap kicked out of it by my lead foot, sound, potential for upgrades etc..
    Last edited by hooddub; 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM.
    Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Re: Mk3 VR6 vs Mk4 Vr6

OBD1 to OBD2 switch was 1995-1996. As for which is more solid, i have no input. Only driven a MK3 OBD2
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Originally posted by Mcrow View Post
      OBD1 to OBD2 switch was 1995-1996. As for which is more solid, i have no input. Only driven a MK3 OBD2
      How did you find maintenance to be? With my mk3 2.0 I had a ton of problems consistently and if buying a mk4 instead of mk3 would prevent those problems then I would go for the mk4.
      Evan

Comment

Because of the timing chains I would never own a vr6, I've seen what's involved and between parts and doing it myself I wouldn't even touch it.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

24V is a more solid and better motor design than the 12V. However some may argue that 12V motors are cheaper to tune than 24V, but from my experience only cams are cheaper than the 24V, other things like chip and exhaust they're pretty much the same. Keep in mind mk3 ecu can be chipped at a lower cost while mk4 can only be flashed with a higher expense.
          I would definitely recommend 24V mk4(GLI, GTI, R32) to anyone that wants a VR6, because their timing chain assembly is stronger compared to any 12V, much better designed intake manifold allowing more flow, more power out of the box and more usable power than 12V, 24V cars have much better interior than any 12V cars, and in my opinion they sound better than 12V.
          However if you have to buy a 12V, I would suggest MK3 over MK4, as the MK4 12V is a pig compared to the 12V MK3. Also since the MK3 is quite a bit cheaper you can spend more money on proper maintainance and more power.

Edit: I drive my car pretty hard 40% of the time and do my oil change every 8000km with castrol syntec 5w30 and follow the maintainance routine religiously, the car is still pulling as hard as Bruce Lee after 20000km, and the car has never let me down.
          Generally the 24V is a bullet proof motor under most circumstances if you take care of it. I cannot comment on 12V motors because I never owned one.
          Last edited by kujiwara; 10-16-2013, 08:41 PM.
          Current Fleet
          #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
          2001 Cobra #88/3786
          1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
          2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
          2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
            24V is a more solid and better motor design than the 12V. However some may argue that 12V motors are cheaper to tune than 24V, but from my experience only cams are cheaper than the 24V, other things like chip and exhaust they're pretty much the same. Keep in mind mk3 ecu can be chipped at a lower cost while mk4 can only be flashed with a higher expense.
            I would definitely recommend 24V mk4(GLI, GTI, R32) to anyone that wants a VR6, because their timing chain assembly is stronger compared to any 12V, much better designed intake manifold allowing more flow, more power out of the box and more usable power than 12V, 24V cars have much better interior than any 12V cars, and in my opinion they sound better than 12V.
            However if you have to buy a 12V, I would suggest MK3 over MK4, as the MK4 12V is a pig compared to the 12V MK3. Also since the MK3 is quite a bit cheaper you can spend more money on proper maintainance and more power.
            This is exactly the info I needed! You're the man Kuji!
            Evan

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
              Because of the timing chains I would never own a vr6, I've seen what's involved and between parts and doing it myself I wouldn't even touch it.
              Is it really that bad? Nt being a smart ass, serious question.
              Evan

Comment

Originally posted by Down&Out View Post
                The timing chains are pretty labor intensive to change compared to 1.8Ts, as you need to pull the tranny. I've seen too many 12V chain guides bomb on vwvortex as the chain guides suck, but only seen one 24V blow up as the dude went full retard approaching 140000miles without changing chains.
                Current Fleet
                2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                  The timing chains are pretty labor intensive to change compared to 1.8Ts, as you need to pull the tranny. I've seen too many 12V chain guides bomb on vwvortex as the chain guides suck, but only seen one 24V blow up as the dude went full retard approaching 140000miles without changing chains.
                  Never go full retard.
                  Evan

Comment

Originally posted by Down&Out View Post
                    I've only seen guides fail once on a 24v. Massive turbocharger was involved.
                    '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
                    '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
                    '07 Ford F-150
                    '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

Get either or.
                      Don't listen to the hipsters.
                      Still waiting for my organ you know the musical one.

Comment

On the contrary, I've seen lots of 2.8 24v's with noisy guides. More so than 12v's when considering how many of each were sold here. All vr's are pretty doggy IMO unless there's forced induction.
                        Last edited by idlandk; 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM.
                        2002 Jetta TDI
                        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                          On the contrary, I've seen lots of 2.8 24v's with noisy guides. More so than 12v's when considering how many of each were sold here. All vr's are pretty doggy IMO unless there's forced induction.
                          Most 24v ticking sound at idle is sticking valves, if they are still clicking over 800rpm then the guide is probably dead. You really need to floor my car from 3200rpm lolol
                          Current Fleet
                          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

My 24v is still pretty young at 75000km or so but has been very reliable. Other than regular synthetic oil changes, the only things I have done to the car is a new battery and a cv boot. A few electrical gremlins which I finally got sorted and its been a great car. I suspect if the exhaust note at WOT didn't sound so nice I would probably get better fuel economy.
                            Last edited by Silverstoned; 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM.
                            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                            hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
                            sigpic

Comment

I loved the sound of my mk3 12v, especially when its a little colder out (evenings and mornings), theres a sound a vr makes that is music to any owners ears. the sound is the only thing i miss tho over my 1.8T.

I love the sound of Jay's black mk3 GTI (supercharger), sounds like a jet fighter.

benefit of going mk4 is they look nicer IMO and theres a way better chance of buying one with a body in way better condition than a mk3. not a fan of the plastic intake manifold on the 24v, the 12v looks much nicer, and when a Schrick is used, even better!!
                              Current:
                              2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
                              2013 VW Jetta 2.5
                              Past:
                              2005 VW JTI 1.8T
                              1993 VW Jetta 2.0
                              1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
                              1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
                              1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Working...