Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTD Confirmed for Canada!

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/07/04/vw...rica-for-2016/

"Part of the Volkswagen Golf recipe that has helped the car sell more than 30 million units in just under 40 years is the number of variants in which the hatchback is offered. Building on that range here in North America, Automotive News is reporting that we will finally be getting the sporty Golf GTD, likely as a 2016 model. It's the GTD, you'll recall, that crosses the performance abilities of the venerable GTI with a powerful and fuel-efficient diesel engine.

After speaking with Andreas Valbuena, Volkswagen product manager for the Golf, AN not only says that the GTD will for sale in North America in a couple years, it also estimates a baseline price of around US$27,000, which would place it between the current pricing for the GTI and the Golf R. The GTD is launching in Europe this summer, but we won't be getting the seventh-generation Golf in North America for another year. The news about the performance diesel model isn't entirely unexpected – VW officials have been hinting at it for at least a year now, going so far as to import a sixth-generation model for media test drives on North American soil, a task we happily took them up on last year.

The Mk VII GTD uses VW's 2.0-litre TDI engine with output increased to 184 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque, allowing the car to sprint to 96 kilometres per hour (60 miles per hour) in about seven seconds while returning more than 5.9 L/100 km (40 mpg) in highway driving. We can't wait."
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Re: GTD Confirmed for Canada!

Dang that is awesome.
    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Thats sweet! I'm sure it will make alot of people happy and giddy!
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

In lime green?! Time to trade in...
        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

US$27,000, which would place it between the current pricing for the GTI and the Golf R.
          The GTI is available for < $27K ?

Website clearly says "From $29350" for the MkVI and I presume starting over 30 for the MkVII. There is no way to say that comes in under 27K USD no matter what exchange rate you use.

This is also almost unconfigurable (zero options) AND doesn't include all the delivery-time fees.

I am guessing then the GTD will be like 33-35K ?
          Last edited by Kor; 11-28-2013, 06:03 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            The GTI is available for < $27K ?

Website clearly says "From $29350" for the MkVI and I presume starting over 30 for the MkVII

This is also almost unconfigurable (zero options) AND doesn't include all the delivery-time fees.
            You can get a GTI in the US for $27k USD. All prices quoted are ALWAYS MSRP and never includes taxes, PDI, etc.
            Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

According to the blog, that's old news. It was posted in July. Anyway, this news makes me really happy.
              Mike
              '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
              '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Ha ha I'll have to show this to a buddy at work, he loved the GTI features but needed the economy of the Tdi, now he can have both when it lands here
                12 Volvo XC 90
                03 Jetta1.8T
                95 Cabrio VRT
                90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

If they put AWD in it, they would have problems keeping stock....
                  Ben
                  2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                  2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                  2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                  Her's
                  2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

I think we had already confirmed this in one of the A3 threads, but yes I would expect the pricing to be a little premium over a GTI, just as a TDI is a premium over a Golf. I am interested to see how well they do in NA and whether they generate new sales or just take business from the TDI or GTI crowd as the diesel market still needs to be established. I know people would like AWD but seems VW is leaving that out of the line up these days, everywhere, I guess that means the A3 owns that segment. Over here the GTD is actually cheaper than the GTI in the MK7, but I think you get more options in the petrol version as a base compared to the GTD.
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
                      If they put AWD in it, they would have problems keeping stock....
                      Yes! In Europe they get the MKVII Golf TDI with AWD.

They also get the RS4/RS6 Avants... grrrr!
                      - Jordan
                      '13 VW Golf R // '12 Audi Q5 3.2L // '12 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Comment

to bad this is still a diesel .. the 1.8tsi now is reportedly getting 52mpg in the jetta ..
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian_R View Post
                          Yes! In Europe they get the MKVII Golf TDI with AWD.

They also get the RS4/RS6 Avants... grrrr!
                          I just saw that. My next car will be a GTD AWD.

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                            to bad this is still a diesel .. the 1.8tsi now is reportedly getting 52mpg in the jetta ..
                            Get a GTI then?
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                              No it's not. 25 city 36 hwy right from the website. I see The anti-diesel propaganda continues...
                              Last edited by Hardy_Boy; 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X