Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk6 GTI heater/ blower issues

Anytime we get a big snow, my lower grille starts to pack with snow,
    Everything will be fine until I start it up the next time and the blower for the heater wont run at all.
    Second time this has happened to me, last time I had to go to the carwash and spray it and let it thaw out.
    But they are all closed right now and I don't have a garage

Anybody else have this problem?
    Is there a non ghetto solution to maybe blocking the lower grille off? I'm not very creative
    Or could this be a different issue than stated?
    Justin
    MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Re: Mk6 GTI heater/ blower issues

That is different, never heard of it happening!

Could toss cardboard in behind the grill?
    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the front bumper, but that might be the case.
      Justin
      MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Circa1990 View Post
        Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the front bumper, but that might be the case.
        Ah you should be able to get it in there without pulling the bumper. But that is still very odd.
        2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
        2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
        2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Time for a trip to the dealership I think... I've never heard of this before. I don't think you have to pull the bumper to put something behind the lower grille... Just take off the plastic panel that goes under the engine and you should be able to get behind it.
          Scott
          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

there is a vw technical bullitin floating around for the mk5's about a "snow deflection grille" that fits in your cowl. i'm sure it would apply to the mk6. strangest thing, but it fixes your problem.
            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Time for a trip to the dealership I think... I've never heard of this before. I don't think you have to pull the bumper to put something behind the lower grille... Just take off the plastic panel that goes under the engine and you should be able to get behind it.
              Yeah I might have to go see.
              That does sound much easier

there is a vw technical bullitin floating around for the mk5's about a "snow deflection grille" that fits in your cowl. i'm sure it would apply to the mk6. strangest thing, but it fixes your problem.
              That's kind of what I was hoping for. I'll have to check with the dealership.
              Justin

Comment

There is this reported on
                http://www.vwproblems.com/tsbs/GTI/2010/

Date Reported
                AUGUST 16 2010
                NHTSA Reference
                TSB Reference
                #TB-80-10-03
                Description: VOLKSWAGEN: HVAC BLOWER ONLY OPERATES ON HIGH SPEED (US ONLY). FRESH AIR BLOWER RUNS ONLY AT HIGHEST LEVEL. BECAUSE OF PERMANENT FROST AND SNOWFALL FINE SNOW CAN GET INTO THE FRESH AIR BLOWER VIA THE AIR INTAKE. *PE

Repair Information for NHTSA #10035185

Of course, they want to charge you for the repair information. Nevertheless, you have the TSB number to ask the dealer about. I know it says (US Only) but that probably means North America.

Comment

Originally posted by resolute View Post
                  There is this reported on
                  http://www.vwproblems.com/tsbs/GTI/2010/

Date Reported
                  AUGUST 16 2010
                  NHTSA Reference
                  TSB Reference
                  #TB-80-10-03
                  Description: VOLKSWAGEN: HVAC BLOWER ONLY OPERATES ON HIGH SPEED (US ONLY). FRESH AIR BLOWER RUNS ONLY AT HIGHEST LEVEL. BECAUSE OF PERMANENT FROST AND SNOWFALL FINE SNOW CAN GET INTO THE FRESH AIR BLOWER VIA THE AIR INTAKE. *PE

Repair Information for NHTSA #10035185

Of course, they want to charge you for the repair information. Nevertheless, you have the TSB number to ask the dealer about. I know it says (US Only) but that probably means North America.

Hmm sounds slightly different as my blower will not run at all, even at highest setting.

Slight update: I decided to take the heat gun to parts of the grille and exposed the outside temp sensor, and got it completely dry.
                  Not sure how they could possibly be related but, after drying the sensor and turning my blower from off to max a few times, it started working again.

Nevertheless, I have an appointment already with the dealership so they will check it out, maybe moisture causing a short or something??
                  Justin

Comment

Lower front grill and the heater fan have little if anything in common. The blower fan circuit to my understanding has no wiring or sensors involved in the lower front grill area. The ambient temp sensor is more for the dash then anything else as the engine reads coolant temp for most of its readings. I would say the problem is either in the resistor or relay, could be the fan.

Best way to check pull the resistor and check for 12v in and then see what power is going out. If no power is getting to the resistor go back to the relay and fuse, but typically the resisitors/fan die in vw's.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Forgot to post back.
                      Apparently powdery snow is getting in to the fresh air inlet on the rain tray under the hood and vaporizing and when the car gets shut off, this in turn freezes and prevents the fan from moving.
                      Soo basically I'm supposed to brush the car off before I start it, or the blower at least. And probably not kill snowdrifts
                      Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Circa1990 View Post
                        Forgot to post back.
                        Apparently powdery snow is getting in to the fresh air inlet on the rain tray under the hood and vaporizing and when the car gets shut off, this in turn freezes and prevents the fan from moving.
                        Soo basically I'm supposed to brush the car off before I start it, or the blower at least. And probably not kill snowdrifts

Shouldn't the cabin filter catch that
                        12 Volvo XC 90
                        03 Jetta1.8T
                        95 Cabrio VRT
                        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                          the dealer doesn't know about this? mk5-6 didn't really change so i'm sure it would apply. it's designed to do what your problem is. ease up the amount of snow that can be induced. you could probably make one out of some door screen and it would solve the problem.
                          you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                            the dealer doesn't know about this? mk5-6 didn't really change so i'm sure it would apply. it's designed to do what your problem is. ease up the amount of snow that can be induced. you could probably make one out of some door screen and it would solve the problem.
                            I asked them about it and they had no idea what I was talking about
                            Justin

Comment

I've seen this a couple times. Snow and moisture gets down into the HVAC system and usually kills the blower resistor. Ive seen a couple get so bad that the cabin filter was literally a sheet of ice. Because the cabin filter sits underneath the passenger foot well, it lets all the snow and crap build up in there and kill it.

Comment

Working...
                              X