2001 VW Passat wont stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 VW Passat wont stay running

Went to drive it the other day, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and headlights started to dim. Turned around and parked it again. Dashboard is saying alternator workshop.

AMA came out and boosted it. Checked the battery and alternator and said both are reporting that they are good.

Good voltages from battery and amperage from alternator. Said the alternator belt looked good, and connections to the battery were on tight.

Won't start without a boost. When boosted, will run for a few minutes, but then dies.

HELP!!!

Re: 2001 VW Passat wont stay running

Scan with VAGCOM and report back

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

From vwvortex:

Try this:

Push key in until yellow steering wheel light comes on, wait for it to go out.
      Push key in further until ignition lights and red steering wheel light comes on and wait for it to go out.
      Finally push to start the car. If this works ok, it'll be the steering column fault.

Comment

Dont have access to the scanner right now. Might have access to one tonight.

I don't think it is the steering column as it starts fine when boosted.

Under own power:
        key in, normal lights on dash
        Only clicks and wont start

With another vehicle hooked up:
        key in, normal lights on dash
        Starts fine

When left sitting there, it dies after about 5 min. Don't know how long it will stay running when moving as afraid of getting stranded somewhere.

I am starting to lean towards battery issue because of the cold....

Comment

Is there corrosion on the battery terminals? That'll kibosh starting power in no time. My guess is it's battery related.
          Mitch

1996 Harlequin
          2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Terminals are clean.

Comment

You said the battery was tested, but was it load tested? To me it sounds like its your battery - just doesn't have the juice to kick the engine over.
              Battery can read proper voltage, but when you load the battery - the voltage drops.
              sigpic
              Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
              ex MK6 Golf R RB
              ex MK6 GTI CSG
              ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
              ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Also could be fuel delivery - if it starts fine while boosted, then dies - could be a bad fuel pump (had 2 replaced in my mk4), maybe a dirty fuel filter. I still think its the battery. Good luck

Cheers
                sigpic
                Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
                ex MK6 Golf R RB
                ex MK6 GTI CSG
                ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
                ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Seems odd. If it won't crank or run when connected to the car's battery, but will when you boost to the battery from another power source, then from the terminals on should be fine and the battery itself isn't providing enough jam. Thinking a proper load test on the battery would be a good start. Usually they have to stick in on a charger for a while to get a good result.

"Alternator Workshop" will come on if the alternator isn't charging properly, but I'm sure there are other reasons that will trigger it. I'd be a little suspicious that it's not doing it's job if the car won't stay running after a boost. Should be getting 14ish volts at the battery terminals if system is charging right (when car is running), but that isn't really a definitive test.

The clutch pulley can go on those alternators and you can get a no-charge situation on a perfectly good alternator, but I don't think that is super common.
                  Last edited by stefan; 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM.
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

How old is the battery? Could be a combination of an old battery and dying alternator/pulley.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

No idea how old the battery is. Was in the car when I bought it. Might get the battery tested at partsource or something like that as I am pretty sure they have a battery load tester.

Have a tow from AMA scheduled, but being that they are only doing emergency tows for the next couple days, it could be next week before it gets towed anywhere.

Comment

Yeah as mentioned, sounds like a battery issue. I'd try replacing the battery (Get something good) if the battery is not at fault, you can always return the new one.
                        -Scan with VagCom
                        -Load test batt
                        -Check load reduction relay (not sure exactly if this would relate)
                        -Check ground strap to car, make sure it's clean & secure (perhaps you were boosting with neg terminal grounded to body instead of batt terminal?)
                        -Check alt clutch/connections/exciter wire

That's all I can think of for now, try stuff and report back
                        good luck!
                        -Faraaz

Comment

Just wanted to post an update.

Car was towed to Tunedub. Alternator was dead. They replaced the alternator and the car has been fine since.

Thanks for the help in trying to sort it out!! Members on this forum have each others back.

Comment

Working...
                          X