Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: twopointslow

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
    What Mitch said is bang on, if you want that hard hitting base you gotta leave it sealed. What kind of sub is it, what amp are you running and what brand of box? A subwoofer will work best if it is placed in a box build to its optimal specs. Ported boxes are usually around twice the volume of sealed boxes to actually let the air flow properly. Believe me drilling a hole in your sealed box is the worst thing you could do for sound quality. If its sealed, leave it sealed and you'll be happy with it. Check your owners manual of your subwoofer to see the specs they recommend when it comes to box size.
    thanks for the info Pat. I don't have the manual of the amp, but i'm sure I could find it online or something. I got a 10" pioneer sub woofer. the box doesn't have any brand name on it by the looks of it. the amp is a mtx thunder 6304. im thinking of getting a different amp though.
    D R E W

Comment

Originally posted by EDOthug View Post
      nice work drew, that tweeter location is a nice little spot. looks clean. Yup listen to what pat says, his stereo set up in his r32 was redonculus.
      thanks dan!
      D R E W

Comment

Yeah if you go online, the manufacturer *should* have all the details you need. As for the box, you can figure out the volume specs by measuring and doing simple math. It will guide you on how close you are to optimum specs for that particular sub.

Also make sure that the amp is matched to the sub in terms of power. You dont want the amp to be underpowering the sub or you risk blowing it.
        Last edited by P Arkus; 03-20-2015, 10:45 AM.
        Patryk
        Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
        08 VW .:R32
        04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Isn't there a higher risk of blowing the sub if the amp is overpowering it? Aka if you have a 500watt sub and a 600 watt amp and crank the amp up you can blow the sub to kingdomcome? Maybe I'm off, but that's how I understood it.
          2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
          Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Using a 400w amp on a 600w sub would cause damage because of the dirty peak power from the amp...its better to use a higher powered amp set up for a lower watt sub if that makes sense... And you're also not overwhelming the amp.
            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
              Isn't there a higher risk of blowing the sub if the amp is overpowering it? Aka if you have a 500watt sub and a 600 watt amp and crank the amp up you can blow the sub to kingdomcome? Maybe I'm off, but that's how I understood it.
              Common misconception that I believed as well for the longest time. Truth is with an underpowered amp, you will keep pushing the gain up to get more out of the sub to the point of distortion. Power doesnt blow subs, distortion does. With an overpowered amp, you can turn the gain up to just the point below distorting the sub. This will give you the most out of the sub in the safest way.

As an example:

Scenerio 1 - 500W Sub, 350W Amp - You know the sub can handle everything the amp gives it, so you turn it up 100% to what you believe is 350W, but it distorts the sub.

Scenerio 2 - 500W Sub, 650W Amp - You know the amp is much more powerful than the sub, so you turn the gain up about 80% listening for distortion, and you stop where you feel comfortable. The sub is getting all the juice it can handle safely and will last for years.

Again, this is assuming the user has common sense. If you get a rookie who knows nothing about this, and cranks the amp up to 95%, there is a chance it will blow because it is getting too much juice. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. I know this stuff decently well, but usually terrible at explaining it. I'm sure if you made a thread about this, you'd get a few knowledgable people including DWVW chiming in with better explanations.

Edit: Pretty much what George said lol
              Last edited by P Arkus; 03-20-2015, 01:13 PM.
              Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                Common misconception that I believed as well for the longest time. Truth is with an underpowered amp, you will keep pushing the gain up to get more out of the sub to the point of distortion. Power doesnt blow subs, distortion does. With an overpowered amp, you can turn the gain up to just the point below distorting the sub. This will give you the most out of the sub in the safest way.

As an example:

Scenerio 1 - 500W Sub, 350W Amp - You know the sub can handle everything the amp gives it, so you turn it up 100% to what you believe is 350W, but it distorts the sub.

Scenerio 2 - 500W Sub, 650W Amp - You know the amp is much more powerful than the sub, so you turn the gain up about 80% listening for distortion, and you stop where you feel comfortable. The sub is getting all the juice it can handle safely and will last for years.

Again, this is assuming the user has common sense. If you get a rookie who knows nothing about this, and cranks the amp up to 95%, there is a chance it will blow because it is getting too much juice. Hopefully this explanation makes sense. I know this stuff decently well, but usually terrible at explaining it. I'm sure if you made a thread about this, you'd get a few knowledgable people including DWVW chiming in with better explanations.

Edit: Pretty much what George said lol
                Lol....well said in detail Pat....props to ya!!!
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

yeah. i knew that the amp that i got was meant for just the speakers since its a 4 way amp for mids and highs. i'll probably end up getting another amp
                  D R E W

Comment

Fair enough. I didn't actually go back far enough to see what amp you have, but it gives you something to think about when purchasing.
                    Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Drewlikecrazy View Post
                      yeah. i knew that the amp that i got was meant for just the speakers since its a 4 way amp for mids and highs. i'll probably end up getting another amp
                      If you need a amp to run that sub let me know I have a JBL that will do the trick Maybe work out a deal on seats?

Comment

Originally posted by DaCoupe View Post
                        If you need a amp to run that sub let me know I have a JBL that will do the trick Maybe work out a deal on seats?
                        we could probably work something out
                        D R E W

Comment

Decided to try something new yesterday and make a little teaser video for my instagram the lulz. Obviously not too long or good but I had some fun!
                          D R E W

Comment

Looking good Drew....now lose that wheel gap lol

Comment

other life expenses have been taking my money
                              D R E W

Comment

Dang then cut the damn springs!

jk. But in all seriousness. i think those wheels will look really good once you are lowered. Lots of potential!

Comment

Working...
                                X