Help on what car to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on what car to buy

I have a mk4 2.0 at the moment and am most likely going to sell it to a guy here in the next couple weeks and just wanted to get opinions from guys on here on what next car to buy with a budget of like 6 grand . Stay with VW or go the Audi route ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help on what car to buy

Pretty vague question...

2 door? 4 door? Wagon? Coupe? What are you looking for in a car

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

with any car you are looking at, if 6 grand is your budget do not spend 6 on the actual car. 95% of the used cars out there are always behind on maintenance items so just make sure there is money in the budget for it. pick a car you like and research the **** out of it so you are not buying something that will be a nightmare down the road.
      Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

I agree.

What I can recommend is to find out what models have common expensive problems and stay away from a used one, unless you are sure it's not going to have the problem, or the car is cheap enough to not break your budget.

For example: if you buy a MK4 TDI and the timing belt is not done in the last 100,000 km you will have to do it. It is a good 5 hours of your time + $200-$250 in materials or $800-$1000 at a dealership to get it done. So if the car is $4000 it might be worth it anyway, but if it's $5500 it's going to blow your budget.
        Last edited by witchcraftz; 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
          Pretty vague question...

2 door? 4 door? Wagon? Coupe? What are you looking for in a car
          I'm looking for a 4 door .

Comment

Originally posted by jetta.7691 View Post
            I'm looking for a 4 door .
            I think you need to put a bit more effort into helping us help you. You can simply not walk in and say "help me find a car" with giving us nothing about what you want to use the vehicle for, how long you want it to last, if you even know how to drive standard.

Comment

Audi is generally more to service....go on kijjij make your search parameters $5500 - $6500 and see if theres anything you like.
              Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                I think you need to put a bit more effort into helping us help you. You can simply not walk in and say "help me find a car" with giving us nothing about what you want to use the vehicle for, how long you want it to last, if you even know how to drive standard.
                Ya that's my bad . I want a car that I can get for a decent price and put some money into it to make it "mine". I can drive stick doesn't really matter to me if it is or not but stick is more fun to drive I think

Comment

Ya that's my bad . I want a car that I can get for a decent price and put some money into it to make it "mine". I can drive stick doesn't really matter to me if it is or not but stick is more fun to drive I think
                  Why not keep your Jetta? No maintinence, cheap, lower it on some cheap wheels and looks great

Comment

Originally posted by EDOthug View Post
                    Why not keep your Jetta? No maintinence, cheap, lower it on some cheap wheels and looks great
                    I didn't plan on selling it but a guy I work with likes it and said he would possibly buy it off me. So I wanna get something with more power then my 2.0 but if he doesn't I'm gunna keep it

Comment

Ic, well, a nice 1.8t Gti would be good if your looking for more power while keeping it somewhat reliable.

Like many if us have said before, if your looking to keep things as cheap and maintinence free as possible, you cannot do better than the 2.0

Comment

Well now you are providing a bit more information. You should have included the fact that you wanted more power right from the get go, then we at least know what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                          Well now you are providing a bit more information. You should have included the fact that you wanted more power right from the get go, then we at least know what you are looking for.
                          Ya that's my bad .more power is really what I'm after . . What's the difference between the vr6 mk4 and the 1.8t

Comment

Ya that's my bad .more power is really what I'm after . . What's the difference between the vr6 mk4 and the 1.8t
                            one is a naturally aspirated vr6 engine. (6 cylinders), the 1.8t is a 4 banger turbo (4 cylinders). the 1.8's come with about 150hp, and the vr6' come with around 180 i think. i suggest you do a lot of reading on vortex. lots of info if you filter out the bullsh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by EDOthug View Post
                              one is a naturally aspirated vr6 engine. (6 cylinders), the 1.8t is a 4 banger turbo (4 cylinders). the 1.8's come with either 150hp or 180hp stock, and the vr6' come with either 174hp or 200hp i think. i suggest you do a lot of reading on vortex. lots of info if you filter out the bullsh*t.
                              Two powers available.
                              1.8t with a K03 vs K03s essentially
                              VR6's 12V vs 24V

Comment

Working...
                              X