Used TDI Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used TDI Questions

Have a friend looking at a used TDI Jetta Wagon. Curious what the TDI guys think. Older manual and newer auto are on the list. Looks like the older one was serviced by George. Also, what engine does a 2006 mk4 body jetta have? Is that a BEW PD? From a maintenance perspective, the ALH with a manual seems like it will be more bomb-proof, but it does have more miles.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: Used TDI Questions

I don't know too much about the TDIs, but when I was looking for a Passat, I read that the automatics that were paired to the TDIs were a bit sketchy. In my case, I needed an automatic, so I went with the V6 even though I would've preferred the TDI. I'm not sure how different the MK4s are from the B5/5.5 in terms of engine and transmission, but I thought it was maybe worth mentioning.
    Last edited by CGY_GTI; 11-04-2014, 11:27 AM.
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

the newer tdi would have the bew
      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

The 2006 engine is actually the BRM engine, and had some cam weakness issues. IMHO, even with the higher kms, which is nothing for a well maintained alh engine, thats the car I'd recommend... New turbo in it too.
        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

as far as I know any new mk4 tdi is bew. brm is only in mk5

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

Comment

George the mkiv platform still has the BEW due to the 2006 Wagon still being mkiv.

Comment

Both are reliable engines. Timing belt is a biggy maintenance item on both of them. Seen multiple ALH engines surpass 400,000kms and still running strong, that being said I'm sure the BEW is more than capable as well. The ALH can be a bit finicky with turbo actuators and getting low on power with age (carbon plugging intake), while the BEW can show some cam issues if proper oil changes weren't done.

Manual vs auto hard to say. At the shop here we don't see many auto's or manuals failing, but regular fluid changes are probably a good idea regardless. Usually we see DMF problems or clutches worn out.

Comment

2006 MK5 was DSG. Is the MK4 2006 also DSG, or Tip?
                Stefan
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                  2006 MK5 was DSG. Is the MK4 2006 also DSG, or Tip?
                  tip

Comment

I would go with the 2003, its still very young for the age and only things I would count on would be a suspension refresh. Even with the full suspension refresh and a clutch you would still have $3000 at least in your pocket at the end.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

2006 beetle was bew and dsg if anyone wants to swap dsg in their mk4!
                      2002 Jetta TDI
                      2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                      1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Thanks all. Looks like she is going with the 03.
                        Stefan
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Good to hear Stephan. And I stand corrected Natty...the wagons are indeed BEW.
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Aren't the wagons all WVW VINs too?
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                              2006 beetle was bew and dsg if anyone wants to swap dsg in their mk4!
                              If I was keeping my MK4 I would totally do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X