Need help diagnosing problem on 06 passat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help diagnosing problem on 06 passat

My passat has the 2.0 fsi engine. Today i started it up, and it was running rough, and the cel was flashing. I shut it off and tried starting it a few mims later. Now when i try to start it, it wont fire and the oil light flashes sometime. Anyone know what could be causing this? At first the rough idle and cel flashing, led me to believe it was a misfire.

Re: Need help diagnosing problem on 06 passat

get it on a scanner, coil pack will not put on your oil light. How is your oil level?
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
      get it on a scanner, coil pack will not put on your oil light. How is your oil level?
      Oil level is fine. Going to have to get it towed somewhere to get scanned. I smell an expensive
      bill in my future :(

Comment

I have seen a few threads of oil pump pick up getting clogged with oil filter media and and oily sludge. Or just a worn oil pump. Oil lights are never a cheap thing. Do a compression/ leak down test. I am sure there is someone that could swing by your place with a vag com to give you the codes.

Comment

Originally posted by toplessvw View Post
          I have seen a few threads of oil pump pick up getting clogged with oil filter media and and oily sludge. Or just a worn oil pump. Oil lights are never a cheap thing. Do a compression/ leak down test. I am sure there is someone that could swing by your place with a vag com to give you the codes.
          I cranked it over today and no oil light. Really hoping it's just a coil pack or something along those lines. I posted in the "who has vag com" awhile ago to see if anyone in Red Deer has it. No one posted. Going to have to get it myself I think. It got towed to the VW dealership, I should know tomorrow what's the deal.
          Last edited by jmac; 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

So vw called me today, and told me my plugs are soaked with oil, which is why my car wont start. They quoted me fir plugs, which i replaced myself 2 months ago. I tried telling them I wanted to know why my plug wells were full of oil, and they kind of danced around the issue :(. They said they would do further diagnosis, but Im not real confident. Oil in plug wells and oil light on intermittently, is more than plugs IMO. Anyone have an idea why I might have excessive oil in mu plug wells?

Comment

there are ring gaskets that seal the plug wells, I would replace the valve cover gasket and ring gaskets and check the pcv valve it could be causing a over pressure pushing oil out through worn gaskets. it would also be a good idea to replace the coil packs if they have been oil soaked for a while.

Comment

most of the time its just the valve cover gasket that would allow oil into the spark plugs

these guys would be a good alternative to the dealer

http://www.dasautohaus.ca/
                Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I lost all faith in the dealership, when the service writer told me its normal for oil to be in the spark plug wells. They put fresh plugs in, and have it running again. I would have went somewhere else, but it was the closest place to get my car towed. Lesson learned. Thanks everyone for the input. When i find time i will inspect the valve cover and plug seals. Im guessing that its not the valve cover, because that should have been pretty obvious to the VW mechanic (i would hope) . I will also change the pcv. Thanks everyone for the input! I love my car, but what a money pit. Time to invest in Vag com.

Comment

i can assure you that oil in the plug wells at that level is not normal, a little maybe. Those engines have real problems, i would suggest replacing the PCV valve with the latest revision (call the dealer) to reduce crankcase pressure and monitor your oil consumption after both the gasket and valve are replaced. Also follow your maintenance religiously to avoid further problems with the cams, HPFP lifter, balance shafts and adjacent tensioners and chains.

Comment

Ordered a new pcv valve and valve cover gasket from Das Auto Haus. Thursday I will be replacing these parts, I hope it fixes my problem.

Comment

that sounds interesting. Could you please offer some tutorial/photo on how to get it done?

Comment

Working...
                        X