VW in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: VW in trouble

Apparently Porsche has stopped sales of the diesel Cayenne in the US. http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insi...enne-diesel-us

In a short statement, the company said: “Porsche Cars North America, Inc. today decided, in view of the unexpected U.S. EPA notice received yesterday, to voluntarily discontinue sales of model year 2014 through 2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicles until further notice. We are working intensively to resolve this matter as soon as possible. Customers may continue to operate their vehicles normally.”
    Edit: Just checked Audi.ca... Looks like they've pulled all of the 3.0 TDI models as well. Porsche still lists the Cayenne diesel on their website though.
    Last edited by CGY_GTI; 11-04-2015, 01:44 PM.
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
      Either way, I agree with Danny - I can't see them selling their other brands until this is all dealt with. I doubt anyone would want to buy any of them right now anyway. VW, Audi, Porsche, Seat, and Skoda are all involved, the only "clean" brands at the moment are Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini, so 5 out of 8 brands have failed tests - definitely not a good selling point.

The whole thing rides on the diesel cars, I doubt people who would buy Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini care anything about entire brands that don't use diesel engines.

In fact since they're cheaper than they used to be, I would think other companies would be very interested in snapping them up at a good deal.
      Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-04-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

some trolling coming out of all of this:
        https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5292349659.html

I'm not seeing any great deals on tdi's. Shocking considering all the class action lawsuits about plummeting resale values. Also, I wonder why they stopped selling tdi's in places like Alberta where the cars meet our emissions standards?
        Last edited by idlandk; 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM.
        2002 Jetta TDI
        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
          some trolling coming out of all of this:
          https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5292349659.html

I'm not seeing any great deals on tdi's. Shocking considering all the class action lawsuits about plummeting resale values. Also, I wonder why they stopped selling tdi's in places like Alberta where the cars meet our emissions standards?

I read an article a few weeks back saying that prices at auction/wholesale level have dropped a lot, but retail is only a slight drop. So basically used car dealers are loving it!
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
            The whole thing rides on the diesel cars, I doubt people who would buy Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini care anything about entire brands that don't use diesel engines.
            They wont be interested if they hear that they are now cheating on gas models too. worse case scenario they cheat on every car they make. who knows.

Comment

i would think that those who can afford a Bentley, Bugatti or Lambo don't really care what sorts of emissions their cars put out. or any other cars for that matter.

i tend to think that if the tests were fooled for this long, then maybe they weren't really looking that hard to begin with and i think that the EPA (or whoever the testers are) should take some responsibility for letting the public down. i mean they could have done the real world test and stopped this 10 years ago. maybe? maybe not? lets say VW didn't come up with the software delete yet still passed the EPA tests, but put out 40x's the emissions in real world driving. the tests still would have missed that and then who's fault would it really be? i don't condone VW's actions but to me there still seems to be something missing from the puzzle.
              you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

I think VAG will need to hang on to those other brands as that continual cash flow might be needed for the long-term impact of this all, as opposed to a one time injection from a sale, plus many people still are unsure of what and who they own and really will not care.

To me the EPA really seems out for blood and as mentioned above perhaps testers missing things for years and years is not so good either. My biggest thing is that if you are going to take tens of billions of dollars from the 1st/2nd largest automobile company in the world that employs hundreds of thousands of people there better be a damn good plan for that money because that could end up being a detrimental economic blow that may just end up being lost in some US bureaucratic pools while people all over the world lose their jobs. Perhaps making VW undertake some environmental initiatives with the money or a portion of might be a better thing and remember this is all about the environmental impact, right?
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

https://www.volkswagen-media-service..._auth=4qg3plBO

Volkswagen AG wishes to emphasize that no software has been installed in the 3-liter V6 diesel power units to alter emissions characteristics in a forbidden manner.

Comment

No company can absorb $86B in loss, VW's cash flow is $1-2B per year.

http://www.cnet.com/news/report-vw-s...horizon-spill/

Comment

Volkswagen has disclosed plans to pay all CO2 tax differences that European customers will be charged as a result of the difference between the official numbers and the actual emissions in the real world.

A few days ago, the Volkswagen Group admitted there are some “irregularities” regarding CO2 emissions data on around 800,000 cars sold in Europe and now they sent a letter to the European Union finance ministers to tell them all owners affected by this will not have to pay the tax differences as Volkswagen will foot the bill. This is obviously a preemptive move which will likely turn out to be the best solution taking into account any future lawsuit would probably prove to be a lot pricier.

This is just a fraction of the whole problem that gets worse by week for VAG and will cost the German automotive conglomerate a pretty penny, with Credit Suisse estimating they could end up paying as much as €78 billion.

To recap, Volkswagen admitted a few weeks ago they sold around 11 million cars worldwide equipped with a “defeat device” installed on the 1.2 TDI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines of the EA189 type. Earlier this week, EPA discovered a similar problem with the larger 3.0-liter V6 TDI which is why VAG’s U.S. division has decided to stop sales of cars fitted with this engine.
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...dwill-package/

EDIT: Apparently only for the States at this time, the Canadian site hasn't changed as of now
                        Last edited by MechEngg; 11-09-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Rip tdi... Despite my love of the engine and the fact it can be done correctly, I feel this probably spells the end of diesel for NA and perhaps Europe too.

Now to wait for the 500km/charge Electric car.
                          Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-09-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                            http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...dwill-package/

EDIT: Apparently only for the States at this time, the Canadian site hasn't changed as of now
                            I was contacted by VW Canada today. They are working on a loyalty credit to recognize patience related to the issue. No details on the terms of what they are offering.

I'll be curious if there is related fine print indicating the offer forms compensation in lieu of any potential damages and litigation (class action participation).
                            Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                            2016 .:R (sold)
                            2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                            2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Jester B View Post
                              I'll be curious if there is related fine print indicating the offer forms compensation in lieu of any potential damages and litigation (class action participation).
                              This is what I am interested in. I don't care about the fix. Hell car might already be chipped by the previous owner. What I don't want it loss of any legal right I may have in the future just because of some "free" good will.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Well to me this is very much an attempt at saving some face while they continue to actually work on the problem and I seriously doubt it would take away people's rights for further compensation as if they try and get out of things on technicality they are really going to be crucified.

Diesel is not dead in Europe by any means, there are too many brands and products with diesel offerings and higher fuel prices means this is still an attractive option for many people and this is more often a choice about economics than environmental impact as we all know. In North America it might be a different story with a much smaller amount of products so it is probably best to pull out of diesels for a while and then perhaps try a re-launch in the future, plus by then the pick-up diesels will have carried the environmental torch for a while.
                                Blair

Comment

Working...
                                X