Removing Break Rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Break Rotors?

What it the 'right' process/tool for pulling rotors that are stuck on due to corrosion? Application would be MK4/MK5 VWS.

I usually use heat and a hammer but it feels a little barbaric...
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: Removing Break Rotors?

Sometimes you have no other choice, As long as your using new rotors I don't see a problem. I would twist a wheel bolt in a couple of threads just to keep the rotor
    from flying off and hitting something. spray some (wd-40 or similar) to the hub to try and free the rotor loose. I use a plastic hammer

Comment

if its stuck onto the hub then just hit it really hard with a hammer, put a few wheel bolts in though
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Hammer time!!! Works for me all the time. Never used heat

You can also hit it from behind once you remove the caliper
        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Think I just need to step up my dead blo hammer size. The last car I did was my Mazda and I beat the crap out of that thing for what seemed like ages. I've replaced brakes a lot, and only need minor bludgeoning previously, but this one caused grief. I have my own car and my sister's to do in the near future. Mine will be OK, but I think hers will be tough. Just a hunch as when I last had to take a wheel off her Jetta, I was kicking the crap out of it for a fair bit... was getting worried a jack would fall over!

Anyways, thanks for clarifying. Looks like I'm on the right track.
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Put anti sieze on the hub before you put the rotor on, save you all these problems. Take a big hammer, hit and rotate, just replace the rotor once off
            Ben
            2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
            2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
            2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
            Her's
            2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
              Put anti sieze on the hub before you put the rotor on, save you all these problems. Take a big hammer, hit and rotate, just replace the rotor once off
              Yes, actually, I think I did this on my Passat, now that you mention it!
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Follow up on this... got a big hammer (and earplugs) and proceeded as recommended. Brakes came off no problem. Thx!
                Stefan
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                X