Volkswagen Phideon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkswagen Phideon

Volkswagen is using the 2016 Geneva Motor Show as venue to unveil its new flagship model for the Chinese market, the “PHIDEON.”

VW is finally ready to replace the aging Phaeton in China with an all-new fullsize sedan which will be positioned above the locally sold Magotan. If you are wondering about the origins of the PHIDEON moniker, VW says it is derived from Fides, the Roman goddess of fidelity.

It will be the first car from the Volkswagen core brand to ride on the Modular Longitudinal Matrix (MLB) architecture and although a China-only model, the PHIDEON was developed and designed at home in Germany.

VW’s new flagship for China has a large footprint with an overall length of 197 inches (5.05 meters) and a wheelbase that spans at more than three meters (118 inches). It’s also quite imposing thanks to a generous width of 73.6 inches (1.87 meters) while standing 58.3 inches (1.48 meters) tall. The design can be best described as a long-wheelbase Passat with some small changes here and there, but nothing really of great significance.

Photos of the interior have not been provided so far, but we do know the long doors are equipped with an electric soft-closing system. The heated seats are electrically adjustable and come with ventilation and massaging functions while the air suspension should ensure a silky smooth ride. Three-color ambient lighting is also available to generate a relaxing ambiance and for added safety there is a head-up display along with a night vision system.

Since we are on the subject of safety, the PHIDEON will be offered with adaptive cruise control (ACC) as well as front, side, lane, and light assistants. VW’s latest infotainment system will have support for MirrorLink, Android Auto, and CarPlay, so owners will be able to connect their smartphones and access various contents via the car’s touchscreen.

Power is provided by a turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine developing 300 horsepower (220 kilowatts) and 347 pound-feet (440 newton meters) of torque sent exclusively to an all-wheel-drive 4MOTION system. VW will also sell the PHIDEON with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine linked to a FWD setup while later during the car’s lifecycle there’s going to be a plug-in hybrid model as well.

The VW PHIDEON is slated to go on sale in China in the third quarter of 2016 once production will kick off at the company's Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation joint venture.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Volkswagen Phideon

Meh. Nice enough I guess but somewhat boring!
    Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
    -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
    -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

I think I kind like it. Replacement for the phaeton?
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
      2009 Audi S5

Instagram : Adrian.Cocis

Comment

Stupid name
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Looks like a slightly longer Passat from the outside

Comment

I didn't think the Phaeton was flashy either - just a bulky Passat. But after sitting in one, they are pretty friggin cool. I expect this is the same. Sort of a luxury-sleeper.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Only 1 letter off from PHideous
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

It's slightly smaller Phaeton, for China only. I wonder the reasons why they decided on this?

Comment

The 3.0v6T should be the Chinese only 3.0 VR6 TSI to avoid the 3.0L+ tax, the size is not much bigger than the two Chinese spec passats( eurospec longwheel base and US spec lwb) probably just for the extra leg room and to look more dominant. China only because of the culture, traditional Chinese people prefer low key and the vw products suit them well, I can see why vw made it specific for China as not much people outside of China will buy a phaeton even. The name is stupid though, sounds like a deep sea organism.
                  Current Fleet
                  #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786
                  1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                  2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                  2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                  X