Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Two Doors????

I am not sure I like this decision...

I can't think of a single reason to buy the two-door Volkswagen Golf or GTI over the more functional four-door counterpart. And apparently I'm not alone. In fact, so many people have overlooked the two-door models that Volkswagen is discontinuing them for the 2017 model year, meaning that from now on, all versions of the Golf will have four doors (plus a hatch).

Volkswagen confirmed this news to Car and Driver during an event this week, and that report is backed up with a glance at Volkswagen's online vehicle configurator. When you go to build a 2017 model year GTI, for example, only the four-door is offered. But if you toggle back to the 2016 model year, two-door options appear. The Golf news was detailed during the company's 2017 model year updates, but the two-door GTI was expected to stick around for 2017, albeit in base trim only.

"The trend is clearly shifting towards four-door models," Volkswagen's North American marketing chief, Hendrik Muth, told Car and Driver. The company wasn't even keeping them in stock at dealerships most of the time, either. In the 2016 model year, for example, a two-door GTI was an order-only option.

The all-electric e-Golf and high-performance Golf R are only sold as four-doors in the U.S. In its previous generation, the R was also available as a two-door in our market.

Volkswagen previously announced a new Sport trim for the 2017 GTI, indicating that it'll only be offered with the four-door body style. The Sport model slots between the S and SE trims, and comes standard with the Performance Package, xenon headlights, LED running lights, push-button start, and black mirror caps.

In any case, Volkswagen sold so few two-door Golf/GTI models that you probably won't even notice their departure. Trust me, the four-door version is the one to get, anyway.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: No More Two Doors????

Maybe they can bring in the Scirocco to replace the two door GTI
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Does this only apply to north America..? If not I don't see this going down well with the boy racers in west London..
      Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
      2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
      2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
        Does this only apply to north America..? If not I don't see this going down well with the boy racers in west London..
        yes this is a north american thing only. Super lame. 2Dr>4Dr

Comment

I vote R400!!! However... I think that project is dead... so I'll keep dreaming. :(
          Rob
          Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
          Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I regretted buying my first gti in 2 door form. I don't see any purpose in having only 2 doors. Unless it's a sports car which the gti is not.

Comment

I'd hate to admit it but I totally agree. It's so non functional unless like Danno said, it's a sports car.

Comment

I still like non-sports-car coupes for 2 reasons:
                (1) Easier to get in/out of if you are like most folks and have absolutely nobody in the back seats 95% of the time; and,
                (2) I prefer the B-pillar set back farther which increases my sight lines as a driver.

Besides... that 4-door Smart car is ugly!
                Rob
                Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I've always felt that a 4 door hatchback screamed family economy car. The 2 door just seemed a lot sportier. Granted this comes from a guy with no kids and rarely more than 1 passenger but I can see why 4 doors would be necessary for some people.

I always wanted a 2 door GLI when they were available.
                  Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
                  2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
                  2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
                  2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
                  2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
                  2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

I had a coupe for a couple of years and found it fine but not good when transporting stuff. 4 doors just are more practical. And your friends don't need to spend 5 minutes doing acrobatics to get someone into the back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                      I had a coupe for a couple of years and found it fine but not good when transporting stuff. 4 doors just are more practical. And your friends don't need to spend 5 minutes doing acrobatics to get someone into the back seat.
                      Being over 6 feet and trying to get into the back seat of a coupe sucks. Being over 6 feet and getting into the driver's seat of a coupe feels amazing... So I kinda see both sides. I agree with Blau_RS2 kind of, though, the 2 door hatches feel sportier and less "parental" than the 4 door, but what do I know in my wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                        Maybe they can bring in the Scirocco to replace the two door GTI
                        Exactly!! No excuses now for the Scirocco taking sales from the GTI. My 81 was one of the best cars I've owned. (The 75 auto, not so much....)
                        Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
                        2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
                        2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
                        2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
                        2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
                        2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

My MK6 GTI was a four door, but not sure anyone ever sat in the backseat, I chose it because I thought in that generation the lines were better in 4 doors. For the MK7 I think the opposite, the 2 door looks amazing to me. I get the reasoning but I still dislike that the NA market continually gets less and less choice.

Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

There's not enough people buying Volkswagens in North America these days, 3 doors look great in Europe and all those regional specific models we don't get here. The farmers here simply don't appreciate the nice little cars from Europe because well they are sort of just rednecks. And the emissions stuff doesn't help either. I doubt we'll ever get a scirocco or those cool cars and twin turbo diesel engine options any time soon because not enough people are willing to spend money on them
                            Last edited by kujiwara; 09-15-2016, 12:31 PM.
                            Current Fleet
                            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786
                            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

This makes me sad. I love the look of two doors and for the most part it just me and sometimes my dog in the car. I guess my next GTI will be a four door :(.

Comment

Working...
                              X